Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ryan

model 402 Sickle-bar

Ryan
Well, I finally mounted a sickle bar on my b-110 yesterday. I made it through about 10 ft of swell grass and bang, the knife bar broke. Someone had welded the bar before and it broke at the weld. Something I noticed is that the bar was to short toward the inside and was not riding in the guard and the pitman arm was pushing up on the bar. I have no idea what to do with this thing. Does anyone have an illustration of the pitman arm drive that mounts to the knife bar as mine is an ugly scabbed up fabrication with incorrect geometry. I also need the correct length of the bar and a source for new knives, if any, and about 4 rock jumpers. It is an AC version of the Simplictity model 402. Thanks Ryan

Agricola
Htews makes the bars. Search for Sickle and he mentions he makes the bars in one of the comments.

arjr111
Check out the files area at the Haban club. [url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Haban/[/url] I did not see any 402 specific. But, the pitman drives may be the same on some of the other models.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan
Does anyone have an illustration of the pitman arm drive that mounts to the knife bar as mine is an ugly scabbed up fabrication with incorrect geometry.
I reconditioned several of these sickle mowers last year. Most bearings, bushings, thrust washers, heim joints, etc. are available as aftermarket. Other parts have to be made using the proper quality material. Remember, these mowers take a beating in normal operation and soft steels will not last long. The trick to success is to test operation by hand, on the bench, before installing on tractor. Make sure movement is smooth through entire cycle, and adjust as necessary to eliminate all binding and over-travel. Here is a parts illustration and some close up photos. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/drive-parts.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/detail1.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/detail2.jpg[/img]

Ryan
My knife bar quit about where the pitman bolts to the knife bar bracket. This was bench tested with new heim joints. The length of the knife bar was missed. I did notice it was missing a couple of knives in there but for some reason over looked it. Thanks Ryan

sask
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch The trick to success is to test operation by hand, on the bench, before installing on tractor. Make sure movement is smooth through entire cycle, and adjust as necessary to eliminate all binding and over-travel.
This cannot be emphasized enough. I spent the better part of an afternoon testing and readjusting (wear plates, guides, etc.) my sickle mower on the bench until it was as smooth as possible before putting it on the tractor. The payoff is that we have used it almost daily all summer with no problems. My wife even loves using it now and runs it more than I do.

Ryan
Is the lenghth of the knife bar 48"? I know how to adjust the mower, just part of it was missing before I started. I use to mow with a #9 J.D. sickle mower every summer when I grew up making hay, made a lot of oak pitman arms. It was used behind a 8n Ford and I raked with a CA. I just do not know any of the dimensions of this sickle knife bar. I do not want to take the time to convert it to the readily available knives and rock jumpers. Thanks for any help, Ryan