Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bigdaddy

With every start....a backfire or two

bigdaddy
I have a 1972 Simplicity with the 16hp briggs engine. Every time I try to start the beast it backfires once or twice and then starts. Any comments?

UCD
Its just coughing to clear it self. Give it some Cough syrup!!!

srwven
First thing I would look at is the carb. Check the float bowl and choke. Clean it out and then adjust it. From there, your points and armature.

Agricola
I wonder if there is a small timing problem that manifests itself only when you first start the machine. Like an advance that doesn't retard as it should. Maybe the Briggs site has an answer. See my post on Briggs manuals

MPH
Might be as simple as the plug. My B112, which uses more then a bit of oil, gets to actting like the carb is wacked out again, spittin' and sputterin' and generally running like-----, remove plug, clean it, and she starts and purrs like it should...MPH

pofarm
You might also check the flywheel shear key. I have a push mower that did the same thing. It finally got so bad that it would jerk the rope out of my hand when I tried to start it, but it still ran. I checked the key and it was sheared so bad that I don't know how it ran at all.

patrician12
These engines suck so much gas when choked because the carbs are enormous and they tend to bleed.Would you believe gas collects in the muffler and ignites.Unscrew your muffler like I did and see if the backfire goes away.