Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chris727

Kohler Engines and Kohler sinks?

Chris727
I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a relation between kohler engines and kohler sinks. Also Kohlers big sink competitor is Peerless. Is peerless faucets of any relation to peerless transmissions? -Chris

Leroy
try this. http://www.kohler.com/

PatRarick
They are one in the same. A Briggs rep once told me that even though Briggs is the largest small air-cooled engine manufacturer in the United States (at the time), it has the hardest time showing a steady profit. Kohler has plumbing supplies to fall back on, and Tecumseh has compressors. Peerless transmissions are also part of Tecumseh. Don't know off hand if their is any relationship to Peerless plumbing.

Leroy
Pat from what i have read here the old Briggs is better than the new Briggs. What info is there on wisconsin engines with regard to tractors?

BLT
Believe or not, but Kohler got into the power business to help promote their plumbing products. Without in house water, how could you flush the commodes, you needed a water source. Most people did not have that not to mention electricity, so Kohler came up with the answer, portable electric power to run the pumps to get water and flush the commodes. It goes deeper, like getting into engines, but I can't type that much. Kohler is a formadble today in the standby generator market. At times I think they set the standard. I have been at their generator division a few time times but never at their engine division.

Leroy
What does anyone know of Wisconsin engins in the tractors? http://www.continentalengines.com/pdf_files/wc_wisconsinseries(1).pdf

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Leroy
Pat from what i have read here the old Briggs is better than the new Briggs. What info is there on wisconsin engines with regard to tractors?
The Wisconsin engine was most popular for their V-4 model which produced about 20 HP then. In the 50's there a bazillion of them powering hay balers, as I ran one a New Holland. Their RPM was rather low. Some Wisconsins got into the lawn and garden market, such as the ME rototiller. They were a great engine, but were expensive to maintain, for instance they used a Fairbanks-Morse magneto to fire the spark plugs. The Milwaukee plant closed some time ago and all that went to the southern states. Here is a spot that you can check out the current line up.http://www.midamericapowercenter.com/wisconsin.htm#

Leroy
With a low rpm the life expectancy would be good . 3.5 in. bore 4.0 in stroke sounds like a 350 chevy or 351 ford. Spark distribution could be handled differently should that system fail. Was the v4 Wisconsin much bigger than the 17 Horse Kohler?

MPH
Memory fades me on the size of the V4 Wis. Bob, I too spent many hours on a haywagon behind a New Holland powered By a V-4, can't remeber the model # of it..have to call my bro. Don't recall ever having any spark problems with it and it always started good..MPH

Leroy
Marty, Have you given any thought to powering a tractor with a Wisconsin engine?

simplejim
i have been wondering about wisconsin engines lately also. i have a 3416 simplicity without an engine and a friend has a walk behind ditchwitch trencher that has a big single cylinder wisconsin on it. i may just try to make it work........

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by Leroy
Marty, Have you given any thought to powering a tractor with a Wisconsin engine?
They wheigh in at about 300 plus pounds as they are or were an all cast iron engines if I remember right.

MPH
Little more info on wisconsin engines. Bob, your memorys working pretty good as a VH4D 30hp wis wieghs 310 lbs. A 2cly, also common on balers, TJB, 18hp tips the scale at 220. My brother has one of those on his auger log splitter. He said the V4's went up to 65hp. At least two reasons I haven't used one to repower anything Leroy, lack of need to repower, and lack of wisconsin laying around..MPH

Leroy
At 300 plus lbs im sure they are laying around somewhere. :) Wow! Now it sounds like those were built to outlast em all.

Chris727
Don't confuse wisconsin with the newer wisconsin-robin engines. I had a snapper with a 12 horse wisconsin robin on it, they are Japaneese engines, the newer ones are anyway, and it was a total piece of junk (bad compression release) although I have a snapper push mower with a 2 cylce wisconsin robin, also a japanese engine, It has been a very good engine as long as I've had it, but parts are expensive and it can take months to get certain parts shipped from japan. I'm sure the old wisconsins are very good engines.

Leroy
Maybe that was when Snapper was part of the walmart home depot food chain. Simplicity bought them. The wisconsin engines that are available via the links above are tied to continental The name Robin did not show up when i was looking. http://www.midamericapowercenter.com/wisconsin.htm# http://www.continentalengines.com/pdf_files/wc_wisconsinseries(1).pdf

Chris727
Leroy, it was in the middle 1980's that snapper began using the Wisconsin-Robin engines, I think they still use them on their commercial grade equipment as well as kawasaki. -Chris

Kent
Isn't the Robin engine made by Subaru? I think I remember seeing that somewhere...