Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler starved for fuel

Les

Sounds to me like there is some debris in the main jet.Only way to fix it is to take the bowl off and blow some choke/carb. cleaner up into the main jet.But 1st you have to unscrew the mixture adj. screw out all the way[located under throttle on top of carb.] Then when putting adjusment screw back in,seat it lightly then back it out 2 !/4 turns.While adjustment screw is out check to make sure it is also clean and the small air bleed holes in the long tube are open. Just my 1 1/2 cents! dlc

Be careful if you remove the bowl - there should be a round bowl gasket and a baffle "gasket" that may fall down when it is removed. If cleaning doesn't work as Dave mentioned try running it for 5-10 minutes at full speed with thrower on but not blowing the snow - lets try to determine if the wet snow is causing the problem.

While snow blowing, my Kohler 341S (12hp) started acting up, it will only run with the choke on full. It acted up a little bit the last time it snowed but I added a little gas line anti-freeze and it took off again. I pulled off the fuel line and fuel comes gushing out. I dont even know what that is below the carb, is it a fuel pump? Could that be full of water? Please be kind, I am an old Briggs guy from way back. Thanks in advance, Les

Loosen the bottom carb bowl nut and try "catching" the fuel in a container so that you can see if it indeed has water in it. Even small droplets can cause big problems. Also if you can see the bottom of the tank with a small flashlight (the mini lights with small flex necks work real well) check for water buildup in the form of "bubble like pockets". If any water is found the entire system should be thoroughly cleaned or it will just keep happening. The inline fuel filters will allow water to pass through them. You will also want to check the spark plug as it may also be fouled now. Blackened electrodes mean no good although there is a similar dark grey color that is acceptable. Tanish/brown has always been my favorite though. :)

Les, My first thought was as has been mentioned a drop of water in the float bowl. Since you mention 32 degrees, it could be carburetor icing, this usually occurs below 40 degrees on relatively humid days. It is caused by the temperature drop when the air pressure drops in the venturi. This caused frost to build up on the main fuel nozzle and transition passages if applicable. When it sets for a little while will run fine, will often idle ok but when you open it up will soon die or nearly die. For the new Commands etc Kohler has a de-icing kit that solves the problem. Simplicity used to send some heat boxes with their snowblowers to capture some exhaust manifold heat and warm the carb like Tecumseh has on the snowblower engines. I had to put one of the new Kohler anti icing kits on a Sun-Star a month ago and have a Legacy that needs one now. They work well. They just have a little stove [heat box] that sets on the exhaust pipe and they run a piece of flexible aluminum hose from the air cleaner to the stove, and block off the air source from the blower housing. Most of the Simplicity Kohler K series don't get air intake from the blower housing, but Ford and some other vendors used a type that did. Carb. icing was a problem in the 50's in cars and that is why the heat riser passages were used in the intake manifolds. It may just take a little warm air to fix your problem. If I can help you any way, just yell. Good luck, Al

Thanks Jeff. I drained the fuel out of the bowl. I checked the plug and it was grayish white. I looked into the fuel tank and couldnt see any bubbles. Now the motor starts and runs only a few seconds then quits and wont start up again until it sits for awhile. I have it in the garage with the propane heater on. It is well above freezing as the snow on the blower is melting. It is a 301 Kohler not a 341. Any ideas?

Check to see if the plug is getting a "slight glisten" of fuel after it cuts out. If it is dry there may be blockage somewhere yet. Droplets that shake off can mean flooding or weak ignition. Also check for spark at the same time but keep wire away from any gasoline! Perhaps remove point cover to see if they have gotten wet or damp from snow - make sure cover gasket seal is good too.

Checked the plug, it was dry. Pulled off the points cover and it looked dry and clean. While turning the starter over, it let out a "poof" and took off running great. So I when out and blew some more snow, within 5 minutes it is back to doing the same thing, only running with the choke on. Could it be temperature related? Its not that cold out, about 33 degrees, I wouldnt thing freeze up would be a problem. There was a lot of snow blowing around.

I've also had problems with these D*** enigines fuel pumps going bad and doing the same thing EVEN THOUGH the tank is higher and SHOULD gravity into the carb. If all else fails try and hook up the carb, directly to the tank and see if your problem goes away.If not buy a REAL MOTOR[Briggs from Jeff,he's got 3 re-buildable,,, 16 HP'S for sale![Please SAVE me one Jeff!,comin down soon!]Hope it works out for you Les! dlc

When I got home tonight I turned the propane heater on, got it up to about 55 degrees, and no change so apparently water isnt the problem. Cleaned out the carb as Dave suggessted and blew snow for about 10 minutes. She seems to be a little short on power, maybe I didnt adjust the carb right. Two and a half full turns, right? Maybe Kohlers arent so bad after all. I still prefer Briggs.

If she's low on power surely,,, Run the eng. at full speed preferably with the blower engaged,Then open the main jet till it runs roughly,then slowly turn it in until it smoothes out at which point stop adjusting it.Hope that helps you get a little 'more' out of her?! dlc

Hows the condition of your fuel tank? is it rusty inside? I had a simular problem that turned out to be loose scale in the tank to huge to make it into the line , but big enough to get sucked flat across the tank hose connection. depending on how securely it attached it's self it could stay on for some time or come loose and allow it to start and run normal until it finds it's way back in a bad spot. My problem started after a slightly bent blade caused alot of vibration.... like a snow blower....:) good luck