Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DarrellL

tractor won't run

DarrellL
Have a 716H. Sometimes it will start then it dies. Then nothing. Turn key on and the amp gauge needle will flip once or twice then nothing. I rewired tractor from diagram in Simplicity "Large Frame Garden Tractors" manual. Same results. Also instaled new key switch. Is the 716h wired different than a 7016h? Please HELP!!!!

JBLACK
Did you use a simplicity switch? I had problems with my7010 and after replacing everything I replaced the universal switch I had just bought with an oem switch and it fired right up! Just a thought . It could also be loose wire in the plug connecting to your switch. It takes abit o patience to chase those elctrical gremlins out! John

BLT
From what I can see here at the web site, 7016's Simplicitys stayed with the Briggs engine and the Allis version 716 went with the Kohler. There are wiring differences.

gregc
Look on pages 87 and 88 in this manual: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3055_00_LT_A.pdf

UCD
AC 700 series wireing

JimV
Try and run a direct hot lead to your coil from the pos.side of your battery.I would use 2 aligator clips and a fused line. If you still have a problem then you know it is either in the coil or the points/condenser. This will at leat help isolate the problem.

DarrellL
UCD, thanks for the print. haven't had time to study it yet. going squirrel hunting this morning. will get on this as soon as I get back. I'll let you guys know how it comes out. Thanks, Darrell

djarvis949
check the connections at the circut breaker, the breaker may also be defective. Don

MPH
Go squirrel hunting, now thats a conscept I haven't thought of in many years. The little red spruce tree rats we call squirrels here I just keep a loaded 10-22 to rid my yard of..They even tried homesteading in a tractor I have under a blue tarp..MPH

DarrellL
Hey guys, Slow day hunting. Only got four. Sure are good in squirrel pie. Got a chance to try all of your suggestions, no change. Checked all other components I could think of, then I thought "This should run with the stator&rectifier unplugged". Well, it runs fine,just that now it will not charge. Any suggestions on how to check these two items on the bench? Both items are fairly expensive and I would rather not have to buy one if it is not needed. I will probably try and find a local AC/Simplicity nut for spare parts. Thanks, Darrell

UCD
Download the manual that greg posted i think it tells just how to test those things.