Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JBLACK

QUESTIONS ABOUT SNOWBLOWER DRIVES?

JBLACK
I have an AC 42inch blower with drive that works on my old 64 LL,Is there any way to use this on my 78 7010 with out using the hard to find front pto assembly for it?I have read a previous thread about using the center pto but I was not clear on what had to be done.I want to keep the old 64 out of the elements this year and make it a "fair weather tractor"for tilling and pulling cart. any ideas?? thank you . JOHN

Les
Yes, it can be done, but is not that easy. You will need to get a different front hitch(or modify yours), with a center idler pulley to keep the belt from rubbing the bottom of the frame. You will need a very long belt, I dont know exactly, but around 140" long. The last thing you need is some kind of triangular shaped washer that will change the angle of the center PTO idler pulley. An alternative would be finding a center PTO off of a 900/7100 series and using that. You will not be able to use the standard center PTO belt, which is 144" long, because your 7000 series is a few inches shorter that a 7100 series. One other thing you should know is that the 1964 snowblower is one inch shorter than the 3400/7000/7100 series blowers. This was done to give more clearance for the longer hoods on the newer models. I am running an old one on a 900 series tractor, I had the hitch welded to push the blower forward one inch. I did this so I could use the same belt and either blower on both of my 900 series tractors.

Dutch
The two easiest ways I have found to adapt a snowthrower to a 7000/700 series are: 1) Install a readily available electric clutch on the engine crankshaft and modify the older hitch by cutting off the top portion so it will fit between the frame rails and behind the hood, and modify the hitch spring to provide constant pulley pressure (see photos below). 2) Make a hybrid hitch and use the standard 7000 series center PTO with two short belts. Here's a link with photos. > http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/snowthrower_hitch.htm I've done both and either works great. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/hitch-org.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/hitch-cut.jpg[/img]

JBLACK
Thank you for all the info, I liked the idea of the electric clutch but I know nothing about them where is a good place to get one and and are there different sizes ..etc? The engine is a kohler what do Ihave to get to install the clutch? thank you John

Dutch
There are several different types of electric clutches that will work with your K-series Kohler. They all work similar to the electric clutch on an auto air conditioner compressor. Power on = engine turns pulley / power off = pulley stops. Just measure the diameter of your crankshaft (should be 1") and get a clutch for that size. Ordering a brand new clutch may cost several hundred dollars. There are used and surplus clutches that can be bought for a fraction of that, but you may have to get bushings and spacers machined to adapt to your engine.