Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
meck

What is this thing?

meck
I've got an AC B-10 that I bought about 10 years ago. It's a real work horse, and I use it daily. My question is this. In with the other attachments that I got with the tractor was a front end weight. It is about a four inch diameter piece of pipe, filled up with something, that attaches with four mounting pins at the front of the tractor. My question and the mystery to me is this: the weight also has a short arm that extends upward on the right side of the tractor that allows the weight (with a connecting link) to be attached to the lift arm. When the connection to the lift arm is made and the two upper of the front connection pins are taken out, the weight can be moved up and down by the lift in front of the tractor. Why? What is the purpose for this? I have several manuals for this tractor and the attachments, but this one is not mentioned. Can anyone help? Thanks

KenK
It works as a counter weight when operating rear attachments,such as a tiller or plow.

MPH
John, thats to serve as a counter wt for attachments on the rear. Its going down when rear attachments going up. Makes lifting Simple. A rather sought after item I might add. MPH

SmilinSam
Sought after to the tune of $100.00....

Agricola
Can we draw this one up so we can try to build our own?

Kent
Sam, did you say $100.... Wow, I better go lock mine up. I think I paid either $20 or $25 for it...

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by Kent
Sam, did you say $100.... Wow, I better go lock mine up. I think I paid either $20 or $25 for it...
Bargains are out there, but never when you need one. I have sold 3 or 4 now for that price no dickering, shipping extra. Never had one sit on the shelf for more than a week either...

meck
Okay, thanks for your answer to my question. I have to admit that when I read your responses I knew I had asked a "head slapper." That's one of those where you slap yourself up the side of the head and wonder "Why the . . . didn't I think of that?" That's especially the case when I think of how much easier it would have been all these years to have lifted the rototiller up and down with a little help from that front weight. It's even more especially the case since I long ago rigged up a counterweight to go on the rear lift to help in raising the front scraper blade. It looks like the truth would have dawned on me. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the lesson.

andy gartner
Bargins... Sure we all love'em. But the reality here, encouraged by sites such as this... ...is the same as antique anything. Farmall, JD tractors H's M's A's G's 1930's up- $300-7 years ago. Now over $1800. Look at the cost of parts alone, to restore this stuff. If you got in the game, early in the curve, count your lucky stars. Me... looking for a Simplicity/AC dump cart Simpl# 085. They've become rare. It's gonna cost me. Supply and demand. The good news is, driven by price, it will drive 100's? of them out of the ol'corn crib. This happened with 60's Honda Super Hawks CB77's, when they hit $3,000. a