Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow ThrowerTips

Les

Simplicity has a pretty good page on snow throwing tips which can be viewed at the link below that even experienced users could review. It is also a good idea to "thaw out" your thrower when done using or at least check it before using again. Melted snow can freeze behind the impeller/auger and cause the belt to jam and get "smoked". The next best thing to a heated area inside, that I can think of, is a hair dryer - but don't let your wife know. Any torches (propane or otherwise) should not be left unattended and electric heaters should not be left in a puddle of water! Any other suggestions from the regular snow warriors?[A href='http://www.simplicitymfg.com/BuyerGuide/SnowInfo.html']http://www.simplicitymfg.com/BuyerGuide/SnowInfo.html[/a]

Hey, I've got a "HAIR DRYER" I could use.....It's a 150,000 BTU Space Heater,,,that'll thaw out any machine even a D-8 Cat dozer! Can't thaw out the newer models though with all that plastic on them huh!?.....ugh! dlc

I know money is tight but I went to farm and fleet and spent $24 for a propane tank-mount heater and $10 to get the tank filled(borrowed it off the gas grill). My tractor and blower get nice and dry after about half an hour and I dont have to worry about melting plastic.

Dave, I'm jealous. Mine is only 75,000 BTU -- but it's thermostat controlled. Thermostat works great. Only problem is that it's so noisy I can't stand to work around it for too long... That, and the kerosene smell...

Heres a tip that has worked for me since I do not own a 150000 BTU flame thrower like Dave and am forced to store my tractor in an unheated shed. I keep a broom handy near the shed door and just before I back in , I dust off the built up snow before it turns to an iceberg. With regard to getting the white stuff of of the back of the impeller, I use the handle to knck it out. Seems to work for me. PL

Hi all... Posted it before, but for those that have missed it, spraying the auger, auger box, impeller, and chute with a spray silicone also helps the job go faster especially in deep snow. It makes all the surfaces super slick where the machine doesn't work as hard. I've never had a chute plug either, perhaps due to my use of silicone. [DoubleT]