Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
nickh

Landlord mower deck

nickh
Just got my new (to me) 3410 running. Its a 999755 with a 10 hp Briggs. It came with a 48 inch mower deck which I know is not the original size (standard was 40 inch I think). Anyway. I test-fitted the deck under the tractor and it is apparent somebody cut away a bit of the running board in order to get the idler pully to fit. Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing. Can my 10 hp Briggs run the 48 inch deck? What size belt am I looking for? Also, a description of how to fit the pto belt to the top spindle pully would be helpful. Thanks Nick

Brent_Baumer
I think the right OEM belt is 71.5". A generic 72" belt will work but won't last near as long. Cutting the running board to make the idler fit does not make sense to me as far as being necessary. The drive belt goes around the deck drive pulley under the upper idle over the inner gear box pulley down under the lower larger idler then back to the deck. Go to simplicitymfg.com and look for there technical publications and search for your tractor and deck manual. Here is a link: [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php[/url] It will have a diagram. 10HP is a little lightweight for a 48" deck. Will probably do ok if the grass isn't too thick or tall. Where are you located? Brent

UCD
Nick The is no MFG# 999775 the closest number would be a 990775 which is a 575 Wonderboy-315. A 3410 shuttle was a landlord and is MFG# 990756 990740 48" rotary mower Cross drive Belt# 163011 Length 71.6" Type HA arbor drive Belt# 165048 Length 85.2" Type HA 990784 42" rotary mower Cross drive Belt# 176439 Length 74.1" Type HA Arbor drive Belt# 108209 Length 82.1" Type HA

nickh
Thanks, Brent. I am in Portland, Oregon. The tractor is for mowing between Christmas trees. We plant in about 1 and 1/2 acre groups. We are going to try to use a short hybrid dwarf rye grass as a ground cover in order to keep herbicide use down. The rye is said to get no longer than 10 inches. We certainly will not irrigate, and don't plan an mowing it short or often (just a minimum number of times during the growing season.) If the rye does what we hope, we plan to keep the deck up full height and just use it to tackle the weeds that do get through. We will probably need to spay anyway, but we plan on just spraying a one foot path on each side of the trees leaving 3 1/2 feet of rye/weeds. Our other option is trying to squeeze our 1949 Ferguson with a five foot rotary mower between the rows that are 5 1/2 feet apart. Thanks again for the info. Nick

nickh
Thanks, Maynard. I mis-typed. The tractor is 999755, a 1972 lanlord 3410.

nickh
Missed again! It's 990755. Nick

goatfarmer
My 3410 has no idler pulley on the deck,at least none that are exposed.Mine is just like the picture Maynard posted. Sounds like you may have a different year deck that someone made to fit.

KenK
There is another option,find yourself a 42" deck.I think they can be found pretty easily,not so sure in your location though.

MPH
Have never noticed those two idler pulleys on a center pto before. Hope all models aren't suppose to have them..MPH

UCD
Marty That is the basic setup for center pto on 3400 7000 7100 series useing cone clutch on pto. It is all so the only pto point on most 7100 series. All front center and rear attachments are run from that center pto and cone clutch.

JBLACK
Hi we raise christmas trees also ,our rows are 52 inches between have used a 66 land lord for years with a 42inch deck with the sides cut out not the safest way but it worked.Since the 66 has now become a parts tractor we use a walk behind brush mower(alot of work!)Some day I will find a simp. front brush cutter and then it will be easy!! JB.:D