Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
KSever

Vapor lock on Landlord

KSever
I keep having vapor lock on the 9HP Briggs Landlord for some reason. Reason I believe it's vapor lock is because I can blow in the gas tank and it will start right back up then die after about 20 seconds even with the gas cap off the tank. Anybody have any ideas on this one or have had the same thing happen. This tractor does have all new fuel line, fuel filter, had carb rebuilt, and the screen inside the tank has been removed. I haven't had a full tank of gas in it and it is low but would this cause the line to vapor lock? Thanks, Kris

MoAC610
Hey I had a custom complain of the same thing. Two reasons first one is simple CArb is running To lean, Yes this will cause the stalling problem. Richen the fuel mixture about a 1/4 turn and it should solve the problem. Also seen this happen with a 10 hp Briggs did a tune up sent tractor home to customer and next day i get a call that it keeps stalling. So driver picks it up brings it to the shop and we trouble shoot. Fuel mixture was correct so we looked at the key it was good pulled flywheel and found all the magnets broke loose and were stacked up one against the other. No other damage was found we replaced the flywheel and now have a happy customer. This is the first time ever anyone ahs seen this happen. Hopefully the fuel mix adjust will fix problem for you good luck

PatRarick
Try adding more fuel. Many of the old Landlords will not empty the tank. I have the same problem with my B-10, Big Ten, and B-12. The last 1/2 to 3/4" in the tank will not feed to the carb. Pat

KSever
Thanks Pat and Mo, I was thinking it was the low fuel in the tank but I didn't think it effect it that much since it was just under half tank. I'll have to try it when I get it off the moving trailer at the farm. Just wanted to drive it up on the trailer to finish loading all the tractors and parts tonight to move out to the new place and it wouldn't keep running. Kris

Kent
Kris, I've found they're very sensitive to the routing of the fuel line from the tank to the carb also. My HB-216 was starving for gas until I dropped the fuel line down about an inch or inch and a half...

Agricola
My Landlord will run the tank till it is dry. I have an inline filter on that and just about everything I run. The line is as straight as I can make it, keeping it from hot areas of the engine.

JBLACK
My LL does not empty the tank either,so I just top it off twice when I mow .:)

iweld
Be careful which in-line filter you use on the old landlords. An automotive type just won't get it. It needs to be one that is made for gravity feed systems. (50 microns or bigger I think) I made the mistake of buying half a dozen auto in-lines and now I have to keep the tank 3/4 full or better all the time til I get them used up. This helps with the condensation problem, but a pain otherwise.

KSever
Did fill the tank all the way up last night after unloading the truck and trailer. Ran that tractor around for about 30 minutes with no more vapor lock, but I think I will look at rerouting the gas line so it is a little straighter.