Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mshowar

Need Engine Advice

mshowar
Looks like I may have found an engine to go in my 3410S. However I would like to hear what some of you have to say about it. I am looking at getting a new B&S 326431-THD. It is a 16hp which is good I guess if I don't loose any of the low-end torque you all were talking about in one of the other posts. It doesn't have a keyway on the front shaft, needs to use the oil pan from my old engine, and I think it will accept my generator/starter from my old engine too. I don't have any experience with engines or tractors so I am working alone down here in the great southwest. Any words of wisdom will be gratefully accepted.:) - Mark

Kent
Mark, It should bolt right in, once you change the oil pan as you described. Don't worry about losing torque, you'll be gaining quite a bit more. Be aware that the threaded front shaft means you can't run a snowblower as originally done... you'd have to run it from the coneclutch PTO through an interim adapter bracket/pulley setup. The newer engines had built-in 15 amp alternators and used flywheel ring gear starters, instead of starter-generators. You'd have to have the complete engine type code to know for sure, I guess.

Spencyg
I have an older 346431 and it is a great engine...as Kent said, the later ones had the ring gear starter which is about 1000% better than the stupid belt drive starter mine came with... Spence

goatfarmer
I put a 1985 model Briggs in my 3410.It bolted right in.I don't use the front shaft on mine,so that wasn't a problem. I had to buy a regulator for it,but that was the only major expense.