Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chris727

Wheel weights

Chris727
I was wondering if the plastic wheel weights scratch the paint badly on wheels? I would assume that the cast weights scratch much worse. I may be getting some cast weights soon and was thinking of rubber coating them some way. Has anyone ever done this? -Chris

IronPony
Chris, thanks for posting this question. I was thinking about doing the same thing but have no idea what to use. What would take the abuse of covering cast with all that weight? Dan

MPH
I took my 4 in grinder and rounded the back edge of mine before I painted them as they were kind sharp and really rusted on when I got the b112. Still scratches the paint up but there not cutting in as bad. Maybe pick-up truck bed liner??? MPH

KenK
I guess I don't worry about the scratches,becuase I never take the weights off.But here is a suggestion,maybe cut part of an innertube to lay in between weight and wheel.

TomSchmit
I protect the wheels with a bead of silicone caulk. let it cure thoroughly before mounting the weights.

Agricola
I wonder if you can slit a garden hose and run it around the perimeter of the weight.

JBLACK
I never worried about it much, however you could use DIP-IT it may be pricey it is the liquid that you dip plier handles screw driver handles in and it completely coats them. Comes in quart cans its like a vinyl coating also several color choices as well. JB.:D

thedaddycat
Take three or four small tabs of truck bed mat, rubber sheeting, etc. like they do to keep spare tires in place without vibrating loose or messing up the car's paint. When you crank down on the wheel weight carriage bolt nuts, the rubber is pinched between wheel and weight but leaves a slight gap. Thicker is better than thinner for this job. The tabs cam be glued to the back side of the weight with rubber cement.

Chris727
My dad has some kind of plasti-kote stuff he wants to use on them, If I find out what its called I'll let you know. Thanks for all the suggestions. -Chris

Boney
DISCLAMER { remember I am new to this stuff } If you pee in your pants laughing at my suggestion I am not resonsible. Why not take a old tire tube, cut it to make it like a big rubberband and rap it around the circumfrence of the weight ? Put a peice behind the weight if that is the area of problem.

Chris727
That's not a rediculous suggestion, it may work. I'll look around for an old tube and try it out when I can lift the weights again , not for 2 weeks due to surgery I can't lift anything over 20 pounds. -Chris