Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
maxtorman1234

AC 712 Inside safe

maxtorman1234
On the weekend i saw a 716H outside sitting beside a garage with a torn plastic bag over it the deck was rotting and the tires were going and the transmission was rusty and finally, the stator was gone. The owner dosent want to sell it but its only going to get worse. Its been sitting outside for at least 5 years. How could i convince him to sell it ? I got it

JP
Tell him you're going to call the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Allis)!!!!!! JP

Tom_Byrne
MY TWO CENTS: Maybe never. We had an old guy around here with a garage/junkyard. You could not get him to sell you a gas cap! Took everything in, would not sell a thing. Had stuff going back to the 20's. He ended up broke and in a nursing home- when he could have made a fortune selling off cars and parts over the years. Some people would rather let somthing rot than sell it. Best advice: Get friendly with him and keep asking.

IronPony
Show him the green $$$$. A wad of it in your hand will do wonders. Tractor knapping also comes to mind. Does the local zoning allow for storage of junk?? How about a call to the zoning department?? Dan All the above were submitted tongue in cheek - 8D - guess it is my turn to be the whipping boy.:I

crequake
Forget it. 15 years ago, I was stationed OUTCONUS. My neighbor bought my grandfathers '561 David Bradley garden tractor with the Continental AU7B engine & every attachment imaginable. When I returned to the good ole US of A I offered to buy it for an exorbitant fee. (for sentimental reasons) It had been sitting under his apple tree for years and become a rusting hulk. It is now nearly unidentifiable due to deterioration, and still, he wont part with it. If it was'nt my Grandfathers tractor, I would just call him a nutty old kook and forget about it. I think the best thing you can do with these types is move on, and look for the next opportunity. I know another guy up in Massachusetts - he has over 100 David Bradleys - and every stinkin' one of them sits outside in the weather. Whats the point of that? The best thing to do with these lunatics is move on, and dont look back. Good luck, and keep lookin' JMO, Nick

JimV
I would have to agree, I just leave my phone # with people and sometimes it pans out. Alot of people just get off on having people ask to buy stuff they have out in the yard. I remember a old junk dealer who also had a few old cars out front but he would just smirk and say they aren't for sale. The old guy died and I have no idea what happened to the cars.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by howlanddm
Does the local zoning allow for storage of junk?? How about a call to the zoning department??
GREAT IDEA!!!!!! If the guy doesn't want to sell the tractor that he owns........ cause him as many problems as you can as punishment. Even if he junks the tractor instead of selling it, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you caused him all kinds of misery. A good Christian approach. He may have to spend money on a lawyer, pay fines, could even be jailed. That should teach him a very expensive lesson for not selling what someone wants. Just think twice before you act. That guy might be like me and retaliate. You could be the one paying for malicious prosecution, abuse of process, and extortion.

BrownA
I have tried to buy a few pieces of equipment I have seen in yards etc.. Once in a while you just can't figure out why the person won't sell, especially when they are not taking care of it and it's being destroyed by the weather. It stinks but if you keep searching sooner or later you will find something else that is a good deal. Some people just don't make any sense.

I agree with Herb 100 percent, minus the tongue lashing he gave. For starters, its his, and he owes nobody an explanation, though it may drive you nuts. Reasons? that could be old gramps tractor, a sentimental thing, like stories you hear about old widowers who never clean the house or move anything when mamma passed away or his son who was killed in Nam..etc,etc. My ex neighbor used to come over and look all through my barn and say "what are you gonna do with that" finally i told him if I had anything I wanted to sell it wouldnt be there. I do have one bit of advice, leave a piece of paper with your name and phone number. Thats exactly what i did in april and last month it got me this..... [img]/club2/attach/Dougm/hill top compressed.jpg[/img]

MDB
Mighty fine aproach Doug...8D^

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by DougM
I agree with Herb 100 percent, minus the tongue lashing he gave....
Doug, you think my post was a “tongue lashing?” Whew…………….. I thought you guys were tougher than that. I’d hope Dan’s zoning suggestion was a joke. But, some people may take it seriously. Zoning is one of the biggest government abuses going today. Politicians and their appointed hacks use those ordinances to force ordinary citizens to conform to subjective standards that are often selectively enforced. There are areas here in New Jersey where a property owner couldn’t have a brand new Legacy because someone else thinks it’s unsightly. Those people hire a landscaper and only want a BMW in a driveway. Many long time homeowners are victimized by new neighbors or greedy developers who want all properties to look the same so the value of property they own is increased. Fighting city hall is an expensive, time consuming, and emotional experience. Most people don’t have the resources to fight for their rights and just cave in.

MPH
What is you got Doug, the piece of property??MPH

ya Herb i can see it, but ive read your posts long enough to know you make a "strong" point:) And i certainly didnt mean to shame anyone, upset the cart, just happen to believe what i do on my property, is my business, that is "within" the law, im not talking about wife beating, child abuse, but if i want to have an old 53 cadillac sitting in the backyard, why not? I pay taxes. Im not hurting anyone. Marty, 39 acres, high south facing field with mature oaks and maples to the north, adjoins mine, had to get it before developers did. Just go up to a person and state your business, leave a note so they remember you. Ive seen these slick developers sweep property away by buying little old ladys flowers, sitting next to them in church, laying a sad no place to live story on them, then, once the deal is close they are gone like the wind. oh well enough rambling.

quote:
Many long time homeowners are victimized by new neighbors or greedy developers who want all properties to look the same so the value of property they own is increased. Fighting city hall is an expensive, time consuming, and emotional experience. Most people don’t have the resources to fight for their rights and just cave in.
How very true.

stormy2163
I have to agree with Dutch. Stormy

srwven
Some ordinances are set up to protect homeowners. My area has seen the fastest population and building boom in the country. My township set up this conservation easement between developments and houses/farms that have been in the area for 50 years as a barrier to protect the current residents. Unfortunately the "neighbors" in the development behind me insist on mowing this conservation easement down and want to doze the trees there (I honestly cannot figure out what these development dwelling city slickers have against any vegetation other than kentucky blue grass). I am fighting that and will report them for it. I did mention to him prior though that this was a conservation easement. He stated "it's my property, I'll do what I want with it". Called the township and his homeowner's association who see it differently than he does.

Tom_Byrne
MY TWO CENTS: I agree with all of you to a point. In my first post on this topic, I mentioned the old man with all the old cars but I didn't elaborate. His house and junkyard/gas station were in a little area called Mount Hope. Everybody knew him and left him alone with his junk, figuring, hey, he's not hurting me. I think the same way, live and let live. However, things changed. The town tried to get him to clean up and he always refused, until he got fined for the cars at his house. When the junkyard was full he started putting cars there. Over 400 cars. I used to deliver oil to him and I never saw anything like it- from the early 60's to present, lined up neatly bumper to bumper, nose to trunk. He never cleaned up the gas station, and he wouldn't sell ANYTHING. He ended up having a stroke and sort of went off the deep end. He ended up in a nursing home. His brother junked all the cars and died soon after. He had no family left so the town ended up with the house and gas station and the environmental cleanup it needs- all the oil pans and gas tanks rotted and leaked, plus the old pump tanks. Millions of dollars that the taxpayers of the town will pick up.

maxtorman1234
I GOT IT! It was a 712H actually and it wasnt really as bad as i described it. THe deck is solid, it is rusty but the rest of the tractor is solid also. I just drained the gas, cleaned the carberuator and away it went!

KSever
Well How Much?

goatfarmer
How did you convince him to sell?

SmilinSam
About the tractor, just take and care less, all you do is leave your name in case he everchanges his mind and walk away and forget about it. No pushing no pleading no begging. I myself just about never stop and ask about something with no for sale sign on it. Some times in a passing conversation I offer to buy something someone mentions they have if they ever have the urge to sell. Give them my name and number. Had a guy call me 2 years later and sell a machine I had long forgot about. My advice is anemic in comparrison to the following: Lk:12:15: And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. Rom:13:9: For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 1Cor:6:10: Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. Col:3:5: Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: 2Tm:3:2: For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Simply put wanting things one doesn't need, especially someone elses, is not a good state of mind to be in......

maxtorman1234
I paid $650Canadian, and it is decent shape. The owner simply said he paid 1500 for it and the engine was rebuilt 6 years ago. He said he would take $700 but he accepted 650. He said if i could use it i might as well have it. He had it for a backup because he hires in people to cut his grass.

maxtorman1234
How did i do? Was it a good deal? It works like new now, fixed the engine, replaced the clutch and BGB all i have to do now is change the stator.....

rjgoth
Hey im glad to hear that you got it.