Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ambler

Electrical Mystery

ambler
I was mowing with my 7119 the other day and it quit. If I turned the switch nothing happened. Then it would start. mow another row and quit. This followed my hosing out behind the dash last week. After hosing it started fine until this weeks mowing. I took out the battery and gas tank and found a wire from the solenoid hot lead to the circuit breaker had had corroded through at the connector. I ordered a new circuit breaker, wire lead and new battery cables today. Does anyone know if this accounts for my symptoms? The circuit diagram shows that the lead from the solenoid goes through the circuit breaker and the ammeter to the ignition switch.

PatRarick
Most likely. I would assume that you had an intermittant connection at the corrosion point. A Briggs engine, due to the magneto ignition system, would continue to run but not charge. A Kohler engine, with it's battery ignition system, will die if the power is interupted. Pat

torinwalker
I had a similar problem, but with a tiller I rented from Home Depot. After starting the engine, it would idle for any length of time just fine, but the moment I tried to use it, it would die. I later discovered it would till if I helf it slightly to one side. As it turns out, by tilting it I put a slight flex on one of the handles, which released the killswitch wire accidentally caught between the joints of the folding handlebars. Once I saw what was happening and untrapped the wire, the tiller worked perfectly. Torin...

spitz
I have a 7117 that quit randomly as well. Turned out the connectors on the back of the ammeter were loose. -Matt