Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sun41bird

concrete wheel weights

sun41bird
i just got finished with my second atempt at casting concrete wheel weights tonite my first atempt a rush job failure took alittle more time with it tonite and it looks pretty good just gotta resist the urge to try and take them out i lined the rim with thin plastic after cutting a 2lb coffe can down to 3 inchesto allow for the axle i raised the rim hight 1.5 inches with a peice of aluminiumand put 3/4 pvc pipe for the 1/2 inch cariage bolts

rokon2813
sounds like it should work. let us know

dogboy
you got me thinking, but i think i'm gonna go to walmart and measure the barbell weights,just an idea at this point, but could drill and thru bolt them. never see iron weights at yard sales anymore.

TimE
I've made wheel weights from concrete using a cut off 5 gallon bucket for the form and some all thread. They don't look pretty but they work.

Terry9
When I was 12, my friend and I used to scour some dump sites and collect copper, aluminum, and lead. The former two used to be sold as scrap in the city, but the lead, we melted that with a makeshift blast furnace and made.............our own barbell weights. And they would probably drill pretty easy for the togglebolts to go thru the wheel hub. Just need charcoal, a vacuum cleaner that can blow, and some sort of big urn. May the force be with you.

MPH
Someone here made a neat settup for useing 25lb barbell wts. He made a bracket to bolt onto the lug nuts, then welded a rod, think he used a wt lifting bar,to the center of it and then slides on the wts. The plans may have wound up in the do-it-yourself file..MPH

sun41bird
hmmm molten lead huh? cant see a downside to that

sun41bird
yea i saw that set up it was nice but the wlding is a prob for me