Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

WOW…….. $500

Dutch
I may be considered one of those “difficult screwballs” that doesn’t want to sell equipment. I have an EZ Rake that I just reconditioned. I completely disassembled it, replaced all (100) tines, all bearings, all sprockets, all pulleys, chain, and belt. Sand blasted to bear metal, neutralized, primed, surfaced, filled, and painted. Reassembled with stainless hardware, replaced all zerk fittings and installed new decals. Total cost for the major parts was over $600. Probably another $100 in odds and ends PLUS my labor AND the value of the EZ Rake itself. Last week, a customer picked up a tiller I sold him. He saw the EZ Rake. He thought it was brand new. When I told him it was over 30 years old, he didn’t believe me. I showed him the receipts for parts. He didn’t understand why I would put so much money in a 30 year old implement. I tried to explain it worked as good as new, but new ones were no longer available. He wanted to buy it. I refused to sell. We didn’t discuss money. I told him the Bluebird D110 was basically the same machine. He called tonight and said he priced a D110 and it was over $2000. He then offered me $500 for my EZ Rake. Again, I refused to sell. He insisted on buying it, and told me I could find another. Here are my questions…….. 1) Why would I want buy an EZ Rake, spend over $700 plus my time reconditioning it, and sell it for $500? 2) If the guy thinks I can find another EZ Rake, why doesn’t he find one and recondition it himself? 3) If he really wants a power rake, and a new one costs over $2000, why would he offer only $500 for mine?

Terry9
Herb, you have every right to be less than happy with that offer. Terry

MPH
Think it sounds to me like it would him and a dozen relatives to get enough of a spark to start a fire with gas poured on it..MPH How about a pic of your rake, not sure what it is you have..

Herb whadya ever do with that mint tractor you were going to post pics of....did you sell it? Is the ez rake such a big deal cause it works so well or is it because of its rarity?

goatfarmer
I see that all the time in ads for street rods,etc. "Over $10,000 invested,must sell $6000 OBO". Can't fault the guy for asking.

Tacey
In the sales business, some customers fall under the 'Difficult' [[}:)]] catagory. Sometimes you can 'add by subtraction', and refuse to deal with that type of customer. Then, you can devote more time to taking care of more Pleasant [[:)]] customers. Tacey

IronPony
Dutch, did you make him a counter-offer? New one cost $2000, how about customer saves $500 and offer it for $1500? That is if you want to sell it at all. Otherwise put a "Display only, not for sale" sign on it and maybe no one will insult you with weak offers. Dan

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by Terry9
Herb, you have every right to be less than happy with that offer.
Terry, I'm never unhappy when someone offers me any amount of money. It's the old, "What's it worth" deal. That can be a wide array to different people. I never get upset or insulted with offers. I've made more than a few bad deals where I had to sell at a loss, so that doesn't bother me at all. However, sometimes I'm just puzzled. In a case like this, I don't want to sell..... I'm not going to sell. I would just think if someone wanted to tempt me, offering less than they know I have spent is not much of a temptation.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
How about a pic of your rake, not sure what it is you have..
Marty, it's at my other shop right now. I'll be bringing it home next week. I'll post photos then. In the meantime, here's what it is > http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/front_end_thatcher.htm

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by DougM
Herb whadya ever do with that mint tractor you were going to post pics of....did you sell it?
Doug, that 3410-S is in storage. I'm not going to do anything with it until I'm convinced that really rough 710-S I'm working on is what I really want to keep. I afraid I may be turning into a reluctant collector. I just don't have the heart to modify and start denting and scratching that 3410-S for my use.
quote:
Originally posted by DougM
Is the ez rake such a big deal cause it works so well or is it because of its rarity?
Both....... I guess. I use mine, but I had one for a John Deere and sold it to a guy last year. He has never used his. He only takes it to shows.

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
I see that all the time in ads for street rods,etc. "Over $10,000 invested,must sell $6000 OBO".
Ken, I see those ads all the time too. There's a large classic auto auction every year in Atlantic City. I have talked with quite a few of the sellers. I have concluded that most of those deals fall into the following categories: 1) A genuine good deal for the buyer. Very nice auto. Seller needs cash unexpectedly (divorce, business, lost job, etc.), or reality set in (car is nice, but owner is still old, fat, and bald). 2) Seller over spent restoring a less than desirable auto. 3) $10,000 actually spent, but another $40,000 needed to do complete restoration properly. 4) "Restoration" sloppy and next to worthless. Seller may have spend the money, but not pleased with results. 5) Cost of "Restoration" greatly exaggerated. $1,000 spent for parts…… seller figures his time worth $9,000.

MPH
Thank Herb, looks like a front mounted revitalizer. Think you have one of those, do they function the same?? MPH

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Thank Herb, looks like a front mounted revitalizer. Think you have one of those, do they function the same?? MPH
Marty, in some ways yes, in other ways no. Both dethatch about the same (the Revitalizer may be slightly better on thick turf). The EZ Rake's thin spring tines is gentler than the Revitalizer's heavier solid knives. For seeding, the Revitalizer is more of a vertical cutter (you can see where you have seeded). The EZ Rake is just that, a rake. It will "invisibly" comb seed in when over-seeding. I use both when establishing a new lawn. Cut and drop with the Revitalizer & spreader, then comb diagonally with the EZ Rake. The EZ Rake beats the Revitalizer hands down when it comes to "lifting" damp leaves or other lawn trash without disturbing or shocking the grass. I like the EZ Rake because it is front mounted rather than rear mounted. The rake will do the "fluffing" and the mower deck and vacuum will pick up the debris...... a "one pass" operation. Bottom line, each is better at certain tasks.

Agricola
This sounds like the reverse of a post where the guy wondered why someone would not part with an old tractor. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

andy gartner
The joy,the money, the time, the time, the time. All part of the journey. Time is all we have. And when we trade our precious time for something, like work etc. we expect compensation of some sort, sometimes nothing more than, thanks. Some people aren't very skilled at asking for what they want. Instead of devaluing Herb's work, money invested, and TIME, a thousand other approaches might have set up a future sale, should Herb decide to part with his EZ rake and no longer desire to build memories with it. To some of us, these 'things' become part of us, and our family, as we PROUDLY INVEST OURSELVES in them. Hey fella, this is me, this is who I am, this is what I represent, and this is what I can do. This is an artform, and a living breathing, manifestation of myself. I have given it another life. Don't devalue that or you get nothing but disdain and contempt. Bravo Herb! A

MPH
Thanks for the enlightment Herb. Trying to figure out what I need up here to deal with the reclaiming of my grassed areas by spagnum moss. Seem like if the soil doesn't get tilled up every 3 year or so the moss starts coming back. Been dreaming of the revitalizer but not sure how that machine handles rocks buryied down an inch or so..If it wasn't for cleaning the rocks out, plowing it up and reseeding would be a lot of fun time, I'd just put the yard on a 3 year rotation..Moss is pretty maintence free.....nah that ain't no fun...MPH

Dutch
Marty, the Revitalizer blades already have holes....... a natural for installing hammer knives for dealing with rocks. Install 2 hammers per blade on a shoulder bolt and you would also double the cut. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/revit-blade.jpg[/img]

MPH
Now you got my gears clangging Herb. Thanks for the pic of the knives. Why couldn't a guy make a set of knives to replace the tines on the tiller. Recon would need some skids or wheels fordepth control also...MPH

Dutch
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
How about a pic of your rake, not sure what it is you have..
Marty, here is a "before" photo and some "after" photos of the EZ Rake. It was in pretty sad shape when I got it. It showed it's 35 years of use. Loaded with surface rust, half the tines either missing or damaged, crunchy bearings, worn sprockets, sloppy chain. The hitch was made for an FDT :(!, so I modified it to fit an RBT :D. Haven't applied the decals yet because I spray painted it with enamel, not fast drying rattle cans. Enamel takes several weeks to fully cure, and I don't want the edges of the decals to lift. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/ez-before.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/ez-front.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/ez-side.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/ez-bottom.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/ez-hitch.jpg[/img]

Terry9
Nothing like attention to detail!! Nice job Herb!!

MPH
NICE looking restore job Herb, don't blame you for beinging ofended at the guys offer. From what I can makeout I take it depth is a set factor. Forget the offer and enjoy the machine and results it provides you..MPH

Stoneheartfarm
Dutch, That is one sweet looking piece of work. The guy was just looking to get something for nothing. Several years ago I was reconditioning a 40's vintage pickup. Had a guy stop and look it all over. Argue with me about what the engine was and then offer me half of what I sold it for a few weeks later. Just stick to your guns. Steve

ToddS
Dutch, Very impressive restoration. Nice work! Todd Sweeney

sun41bird
maybe hes an idiot meet them all the time

sun41bird
awsome restoration herb