Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
maxtorman1234

Need Help: Pointless ignition

maxtorman1234
Can someone please help me. I have a 310 with a kohler k241s and it is breakerless. I tryed to start it the other day and it would not start everything appears to be ok but the ignition coil is not getting anything from the "trigger module". It seems to be ok. I have had the engine out twice and it is getting frustrating. It worked great before that. I was talking to UCD and the thinks it could be the "trigger module" any other ideas??THanks

Steell
The wire from the trigger module to the coil continues on to the ignition switch. It acts just like a magneto setup, in that when the switch is turned off, it grounds that circut. So, the first thing to do is to disconnect that wire from the ignition switch, and then check it. The Kohler service manual (you can download it from Kohler) will give you the ignition troubleshooting instructions for the "breakerless ignition". Steve

maxtorman1234
THanks, it is definately the trigger switch though. According to the manual the dioeds are bad.

Steell
That's a bummer :( You may have to contact Sandy Lake, and maybe settle for a used one. I have not seen either the coil or the trigger module listed (new) anywhere on the web. There are instructions on converting a Kohler to automotive electronic ignition on the site listed below. [url]http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/tips.htm[/url] Steve

EDS
You could probable convert the engine to a battery ignition by installing a set of points(P/N 47 150 03), a push rod (P/N47 411 04)to operate them and a cover/ gasket (p/n A-220136/52 041 11) plus a ignition coil and capacitor. There is probable a little plug in the hole for the push rod that will have to be removed.The push rod is 3/16 inch diameter and 1.55 inches long.

maxtorman1234
Thanks, I have found the hole for the push rod, and a kit confert the breakerless ignition to breaker ignition. It costs 85$ US but it is still better than 200$ CAN. THat way i will never have to spend the 200$ again. http://www.jackssmallengines.com/ignition_k.cfm

Steell
Bet it would be a lot cheaper to buy the pushrod, cover, and gasket, and use Chevy points, condensor, and coil. Instructions are at the same link I listed above (I think). Steve

Agricola
Does the Kohler us Chevy points? I never really recognized them.

Steell
Not quite the same points, but you can make them work. :D A lot of information on modifying the K series for more hp is at that link. Steve

maxtorman1234
Thanks, i have found a tune-up kit that has everything but the points cover and ignition cloil for $17.59 at Jacks. Does anybody have a points cover i could purchase?