Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Here's one for the book's-can you figure it out??

Kent

Hi All, I have a friend that bought a 8hp 738 broadmore. The previous owner put a new "starter",voltage regular, and a new carb. When trying to start the engine gas would spit out of the carb by the way the starter turns it over great. Checked timeing, put new points,condensor and just to make sure a new used flywheel. It still spit gas out the carb. Next tear engine apart and check valves and noticed some wear so both were replaced and seats ground and again checked to make sure timing was on the money to which it sure was. Tried starting again and still spit gas out the carb. Checked all wiring and found to be correct. While at it drained and cleaned gas tank and fuel filter just incase but they were found to be ok. Engine has great compression and the starter turns it over great. Checked governor springs just for the heck of it. Yes it has great spark along with a new spark plug. Pulled the head and decarboned it while at it. Engine still spits gas out of the carb. Starter turns it over great. Ok CAN ANYONE FIGURE OUT THE REASON FOR THE GAS SPITING OUT THE CARB AIR INTAKE??? If one of you can figure out what the problem was as the engine is now running great, you will be mechanic of the week. And by the way the starter turns it over great. There is a clue in this message of what the problem was. Good Luck->happyjack<-

Yes Scott you are not only correct but mechanic of the week. Now does anyone know how to change the direction of the starter?? The starter was bought new running in reverse by the previous owner and actually the tractor did need most everything done to it after it sat out side for about 7 years when owner gave up on it, but who would ever think the engine would be turning counter clock wise. It goes to show that sometimes the most obvious can be a hidden factor at least in this case. Thanks->happyjack<-

well im not for shure but i did have an 8n ford with a 6 volt positive ground. dad wanted to change it over to 12 volts we did and retained the original starter (unchanged I figured it would turn the wrong way) however the man at the starter generator shop assured it would not and correct he was. now to get to the other question to make i turn the other way the end with the brushes have to be indexed 90 degrees from the current position. im not sure about this part. when I worked at my first industrial job it was an electric motor shop. The shop I worked at did mostly ac motors not much dc a customer brought in a dc motor that was burnt up. When we returned it to the customer it turned the wrong way. We didnt know how to fix it so we took it to another shop That guy just turned the end that had the brushes on it and away it went. and so started my career as an industrial maintenance technician.

Hi, Probably had a starter gen for a Cub Cadet. They drive off the PTO end and turn the other direction. The units are the same except for the field coils. They are made in 2 frame lengths, and two rear bearing types. The brush holders are fixed in the case and so the brushes can't be rotated. We stock these field coils for both rotations, also armatures, brushes bearings, requlators etc. and repair a number of these units every year. Maybe you should have put the muffler on the top port and the carb on the bottom. Have a good one. Al

Thanks to All, I have found these type of problems to be either challenging or a thorn in the "butt" depending whether they are mine or someone else's. I thought it was interesting and hoped some of you did also. Yes "Al" you and I thought the same thing and that was one of my first thoughts and words to my friend "well heck the carbs where the muffler should be" ha, but he didn't see the humor. Again as always thanks to all and have a good one->jack->happyjack<-

Hi gang, I had a similar problem on my B-1 except it was with the generator field coil. The shop I bought the field coil from sold me one for reverse direction (e.g. the polarity was reversed). To fix it I simply reversed the leads from the field coil to the brushes. I think I had to splice an extension wire on one of the coil leads. The tipoff, aside from not charging, was a dip in generator output when it should have been charging. Jack, that was a good exercise. Roy

WRONG POLARITY ON THE STARTER/GENERATOR--THE THING WAS RUNNING IN REVERSE. TIS CAN HAPPEN ON THE STARTER/GENERATOR UNITS.IF IT HAD BEEN A DIESEL IT WOULD HAVE STARTED EITHER WAY.THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD ONE--ONE SPEED FORWARD AND THREE REVERSE.