Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MarcusInMd

Is this overkilll?

MarcusInMd
I have about 40ft of driveway that goes up a small hill. In the past I used a 42" dozer blade with my MTD (now with a new owner). After last winter I decided it was time to do something else. I was considering a single stage 46" thrower for my legacy. But I see that sears has a 29" 9hp walk behind thrower for $699.00 until tommorow. I stopped by sears yesterday and looked at it It is big. It will surely take up a lot of room in my shed. The question is a 46" snow thrower for the legacy is wide. But should not be nearly as long and shouldn't take up as much space. But would this be over kill for such a small area? Thanks, Marcus

UCD
If you have the tractor use it. It will take half the time to clean the drive. Plus you will have one less engine to service.

dogboy
i plan to use both the tractor and the walk behind blower,the walker is a 62 simplicity,i doubt the sears unit will be around in 40 years,maybe 5,i can't spend $700. on throw away equip.lots of used ones around.

PatRarick
For a 40' driveway, I would say that a 46" blower IS overkill.....until you need it. My driveway is about 120 feet long. My dad's is about 50 feet long. Most of the time the 42" or 36" blowers are fine. Many times though, we have been glad that we have the 8' blower on the 100 horsepower tractor. Pat

UCD
Old saying "Don't force it, Get a bigger hammer". If you all ready have the bigger hammer you don't have to hit so hard but you have it if you have to.

PatRarick
Exactly my point. When a snowstorm hits that piles three or four feet of snow in the drive, and it's -20 and windy, it's awfully nice to sit in a heated cab and have everything opened in a very short time. Another thing to consider is that you have the tool to do a bigger job than is required, when needed. We live along a county road, 1/2 mile from the main highway. The big tractor has come in very handy for opening up the road if the snowplows get behind due to a heavy snowfall or storm. Pat

Dutch
Marcus, Do you get enough snow in your part of Maryland to justify any kind of snowthrower? Seems like a blade on a big Legacy would be all that would be needed most of the time for a 40' driveway.

IronPony
I agree with Dutch. I have a 10hp walk behind snow thrower and never even used it last winter. Used my AC712 with a snow blade to clear my parking area, driveway, neighbor's drive and parking area and about 1/10 of mile of township gravel road. Takes me about one and half hours to clear a 12" snow fall. That is with a lot of "playing around" just because it is so much fun to use the tractor.^ Dan

MarcusInMd
Hey guys, Dutch - We average about 40"+ of snow a year where I am. Last year was the exception since I moved here with nearly 80" of snow. With that said, the blade has done well for us the past few years (the tranny took a beating however) except last years big storm when we had over 20" of snow. I was out constantly trying to keep up. When I finally said the heck with it because it was 3am :-) I called it a night. The next day I awoke to another ft of snow with about 1 1/2" of sleet on top of it. The old MTD and blade said "That's it! No more!" I couldnt event get it out of the garage. The sleet had created a nice thick layer of ice on top that was unbreakable with the blade. The neighbors came over with their two blowers and we had it cleared in about 45 minutes or so... The local road crew gets down here pretty fast so clearing the road to the main roads is not a big deal especially with my trooper..I can get through anything with her. :-) Also when we keep deep snow I need a place for the dog to do her business. Last year I was lax in that dept. and now she has a UTI that she can't shake....DUMB DUMB DUMB.... I am leaning towards the legacy 46" snow thrower...Its just so dang much money :-) And I can't find a used one. But I have to do something before this winter hits...Might be another bad one this year. Take Care, Marcus

skot71
So can you answer me this? I have a B-208, and purchased a blade after the snow was gone last winter. How deep of snow can I expect to move? I am getting chains, and hopefully some kind of weight (besides my fat butt). I have a Simplicity walk behind 5 hp blower also. Thanks in advance for any input.

Boney
Some things to keep in mind go or bad. Do you make paths on your lawn in the winter ? to get to a shed ect. If you are anal about your lawn you may not want to drive a tractor with chains on it. Do you remove the snow off a deck ? cant do this with tractor in most cases. Do you remove snow from sidewalks ? This could be difficult with a tractor Fun factor, which would you have more fun with? tractor/blower Having a blower means another motor to maintain.

johnmonkey
Hello,Marcus. What part of Md do you live? I live in southern PG county. My brother has 8 acres near Flintstone Md. We get alot of wet snow in southern Md and for the first time (last winter I was able to use the (~36-40")snowblower on my bolens 1050 and it worked great!!

MarcusInMd
hi John, I live in north central MD (Carroll County)almost in PA (about 2 miles up the road) The area that I live in gets quite a bit more snow then most other parts of central MD. We even get lake effect (very rare but it does happen) The topography here is such that quite a bit of snow falls with ocean storms and we get some nice wrap around (deformation snows) as the storms depart. PG County is the place in Md you don't want to be if you like snow! Take Care, Marcus

MPH
Marcus, you might be able to blow enough neibors drives/sidewalks to offset the cost of the blower. If so. I'd say go for the tractor mount..MPH

MarcusInMd
Hey MPH, Thats a great idea and I thought of that too...Problem is everyone has a walk behind snowblower around here. :D I might ask some people anyway to see if they want to have it done... Take Care, Marcus

papamerkle
I have both (42 inch snow thrower and blade) that I used on my 16 HP Gearbox Landlord. I use blade eariler in the season and snow thrower later in season. I have a 40 foot and a 60 foot drive at home to keep clean. Thrower will do job faster and is easier on Landlord. The size of the snow thrower maybe overkill but it's save me more than once from being late to work.:)I agree with some of the other post-walk behind snow thrower is 1 more motor to take care of and it's only a seasonal use. I have a Yoeman with a 36 inch wide blade. It's a fun little tractor to push snow when snow is under 3 inches.I need to find a snow thrower for it if I want to move deep snow drifts. I have chains with no extra weight. Yoeman great to make snow piles.:) Both my Tractors have chains on them and I have no problems tearing up my yard.

johnmonkey
Marcus, I used to live in Ijamsville (~1979-80) and Johnsville (near Unionbridge ~ 1986-87)It is nice country up there. JH

torinwalker
I'm a little late in the conversation for this answer, but Marcus was asking whether it'd be overkill, and people were responding with how it would be beneficial during heavy snowfalls. I just thought I'd add my two cents and say that with all that power during a heavy snowstorm, you could not only clear your own driveway in a hurry, but also your neighbours' as well. It's a great way to make friends, and accumulate the favors, and get invited to the odd BBQ. Two winters ago, I bought a new house on the outskirts of the city which fell right within a snow band due to lake effect from Lake Ontario. Well, that winter the snow piled up into a an icy, crusty, crappy four feet thick (in the good areas), and this was further compacted and hardened by my car which has four wheel drive, making me too lazy to shovel; I just drive over top. During the winter, and being relatively new to the house, I did too many loads of laundry and emptied the well. The decision was made to drill a well, and sure enough, I had no way of digging a path for the driller rig. Well, some guy down the road, older than dirt and probably once the owner of all the land around me, chugged in on his spanky John Deere and cut a swatch right down the centre of my driveway. Inside of an hour, my entire 300 ft driveway was bare to the gravel, and I was the happiest camper. I regularly help him now, and that's the way it goes. Torin...