Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

patrician12

Lately I have seen a couple of Allis 5020 tractors.They look like modern 620s or 720s.They are the same size and have 2 cylinder diesels.Does anybody own one of these?Why aren't they included in the club?Were they sold through a different dealer network?I would love to get my hands on one but have never seen one in my area.

Pretty sure those were a Jap built 4 wheel drive for Allis, not sure Simplicity had a counter part to it, which might explain why thier not on the SimpletrACtor site. don't know for sure..MPH

Uhhh, the Simplicity tractors are on the site. I haven't found time to add the Allis info... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1978/TOC_9523_small.jpg[/img] http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1978/23_%26_28_hp_diesels.htm

The 5020 that I saw about a year ago appeared to me to be a good bit larger than any of my 9020's (maybe it was the old barn it was in)?

I recently found a grill to a 5020. It now resides on the very front of my B-110 which has not had a grill in many years!

My father owns 2 4-wheel drive 5020's, one with a loader. I have a 720, and the 5020 is quite a bit larger and with many more features. Nice tractors, and that 2-cylinder diesel sound is unique! Dave

• 3 weeks later...
I have a Simplicity 9523. I bought it new in 1979. Less than 1000 hours on it. But, I really need Fenders for it. Any one know where I can get them? Regards, Big Jim

Hi, These tractors were made by Toyosha in Japan. They were imported by Allis Chalmers. I know we started selling them as soon as they came out. I believe we became a Simplicity dealer in about 80 or 81 and I don't believe they were in the Simplicity lineup until 1983. I believe Allis was selling them previous to this. My buying several of them got us a cruise with a number of other dealers and the Simplicity management team. I believe in 1985 we got a call and a truck came and picked up all of our inventory, marking the end of the diesels for Simplicity. This was when Allis was in serious financial trouble and sold Simplicity to a financial group headed by Wm Simon, former Sec of Treasury under Nixon. Next the Germans bought/ took over Allis. To continue to sell diesels, we had to sign up with Deutz, [differnt diesels] which later became a nightmare. Anyway, the tractors were made in an eighteen hp 3 cyl diesel, both 2 and 4 wheel drive. Models 5015 Allis, 9515 Simplicity. Initially 2 wheel drive 48" 7100 deep deck mower. Later a 54" belly mower by Haban became available for the 4 wheel drives to have a belly mower, plus the 2 wheel drives, but the 48 remained standard for the 2 whds. 9523 Simplicity and 5020 Allis were a 2 cylinder 25 hp diesel, both 2 and 4 wheel drive. The 2 wheel drives used a deck made from the 720 deck, but as I remember opposite discharge. No belly mower for the 4 wheel drive. 9528 Simplicity and 5030 Allis, 2 wheel drive only 28 hp diesel. All of the tractors had a 4 speed transmission, 3spd aux trans for 12 speeds, live hydraulics, cat 1 3 point. All were great running fuel stingy tractors. We sold our school one of the 9523s in 1983, and they still use it all the time. They bought a second one, used, about 7 years ago. The orignal one has several thousand hours on it and runs as good today as when they got it and has never had the engine touched. When a dealer received the units they had no decals on and if you were a Simplicity dealer you put those decals on and made it a 95xx, and Allis dealer made it a 50xx. If you see one, if you look at the nameplate, it will have for ex. Simplicity 9518 and under it AllisChalmers 5015 on the serial number plate. I loved those tractors and sold quite a few, was very disappointed when the divorce came and we lost them. Simplicity did not pick up another compact diesel, partly because a very small percentage of their dealers were capable, interested or equiped to sell and service them. Thhis is what senior management told me. Many dealers at that time could unload a truck with garden tractors in a crate without a fork lift. These tractors demanded a fork lift. Any way thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Al Eden