Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

917 Power Steering

Glue795

Hi All I am new to this forum and am looking for info on power steering parts for a Deutz Allis 917 which I believe is a 1987 model I need some parts for the steering valve that are worn and Simplicity either doesn't offer them or in the case of one part - the steering valve - it is $898.00 Anyone know where to find a used one or any other ideas? Has anyone made any parts for these? Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance for your help!

That sounds very high to me... I thought I remembered someone quoting the entire kit to be under $700.... Yep, here it is: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16498&SearchTerms=power+steering Note that another discussion meentioned the fact that there are two different kits used. You may want to search the discussions for "power steering" using the Discussions >> Search the Forums option, not the little quick Search box at the top...

Kent Thanks for your help on this kit I asked the dealer if I could still get a complete kit and he said no I did a search for "917 power steering", but I just realized since these are all the same frames (sovereign, etc) I will just search for power steering as you said. Learn something every day. Thanks again and eventually I will figure this forum thing out. Eugene

Make sure you use the Discussions >> Search the Forums option on the top menu bar, then click the box to search Archived Posts. The little Search box at the top of the screen only looks at recent, active posts, and not the Archives....

Hi, The 7100 power steering had a valve in the drag link and an assist cylinder like the 50s and 60s Fords and Chevys. The Sovereigns had a ps unit that replaced the steering gear with what is called a hydrostatic valve, and the linkage with a cylinder with no mechanical linkage from the steering wheel to the front steering linkage. The latter system worked better than the earlier system, but the earlier system had solid mechanical linkage to the front wheels and you didn't lose your steering wheel centering like the late systems. We have over the years installed both systems. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

Can the kit that used the hydrostatic valve setup (vs. the draglink style) be retrofitted to a 716H? I'd brought it up some months ago, but at that time, no one seemed to know for sure. If so, what's the exact kit number I need to check on? I think there are a few parts that need to be changed in the hydro as well being as how my 716 doesn't have any hydraulic controls.

Al Your 2 cents is worth a lot to me, because the late style hydrostatic steering is what I would rather have anyway When you say you have installed both, does that mean you have a kit part number? If so I would like to have it, I would even buy it from you if you are a dealer. My local dealer knows nothing because he is a Deere dealer too and focuses all his efforts on Deere. His attitude stinks. Thanks for your help so far! Eugene

Power Steering Kit #1691021 [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/UCD/PowerSteeringKit1691021.jpg[/img] Power Steering Kit #1673686 [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/UCD/PowerSteeringKit1673686.jpg[/img]

Hi, The 1673686, late type kit works the best. If you have it, it should work with a tractor without the hydraulics. You would not be able to use the factory tubing, becuase there is no lift valve. Lines could be fab'd. Rege Hydraulic hose could be used. As I remember when the hyd lift became available the charge pump on the hydro was changed to one with a thicker gerotor. I could be wrong on this, but it sticks in my mind there were 2 charge pumps. I believe it would be important to have the wide [high volume] one if this is correct. I just looked up the charge pump number for a 7012 and it is a 1685128. It is the same number for a 7117h. A 168 number always indicates a service kit part, so I am sure if there was any difference, the replacement would be the hi-volume part as a service kit, so that doesn't answer my thoughts. Sorry, I can't be of more help. Al Eden