Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engines and spec numbers in 7000/7100, AC 700/900

ambler

I would like to know model and spec numbers for single cylinder kohlers in 700/900s, primarily 16 hp. Bob Tiarks table shows only Briggs, up until 1985. I thought there was a single cylinder 7018. Perhaps we can flesh out sovereign engines up until end of production.

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
I would like to know model and spec numbers for single cylinder kohlers in 700/900s, primarily 16 hp. Bob Tiarks table shows only Briggs, up until 1985. I thought there was a single cylinder 7018. Perhaps we can flesh out sovereign engines up until end of production.
Not sure, but I think the 16hp engines were Briggs in the Simplicity - Kohler in the Allis. There was an 18hp single cylinder Kohler for a couple of years ('78-'79?). It was in the 7018 and the 718. It was a K-series, but it was an OHV engine. > http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1978/16_%26_18_hp.htm http://www.simpletractors.com/models/700_series/718-h_specs.htm After the last Briggs, I think the later Sovereigns (and Allis counterparts) were all Kohlers, first the KT-series horizontal twin; then the KT II-series horizontal twin; then the Command OHV V-Twin, and finally the Triad OHC V-Twin.

I'm thinking of replacing a briggs with a kohler. or replacing my 12 hp kohler with a 16 - 18 hp kohler. electric would be the same in 7100 series and should bolt right in. K341 spec. or K361 spec.

Hi, Be forwarned, the Kohler V twins do not fit in the 7000, 700 AC or 3400 Simplicity units. I have a customer that bought an CH engine before he checked into this. The tractor has to be really buchered to even get it in. The frame requires cuts so bad it will require reinforcements. I hadn't seen the tractor since early this Summer. He brought it up Saturday and There is no room for mufflers. I think he will make a plate to bolt on the front of the engine to suppport the pipes and cut 2 large holes in the hood and put 2 mufflers straight up and revise the hood to lift on and off like a drag car. I have spent a lot of time with Kohler applications, because my Kohler rep is the person that originally got us involved in the repower business and as much as possible I dance with the one that brung me to the dance. If it was feasible, I would have went that way. We have repowered a number of these tractors and have sold some kits to do so. Presently we do not sell a kit to do so, but [based on the calls we have received] may revive the kit if I can resolve the muffler issue in a manner that lends itself to a volume run. If you want to see a couple of this family tractors repowered, check our web site. repowereng.com Al Eden

Al, Thanks for your reply. My thoughts were to go with K341 or K361 as replacements for K321 and not try to push in a twin. My understanding is that some of the ACs had Kohlers and not Briggs in the 700 to 900 series. Therefore the frame may even be predrilled for the mounting. I would like to find out the engine specification numbers for the K341 and K361 in order to make a correct fit. The club information pages do not address these engine specs.

Kohler and B/S one cylinders used the same mounting pattern. I have a 14 Hp Kohler in my 61 Wards which came with a 7 Hp B/S. I also have a 10 Hp B/S on an AC 716H that came with a 16 Hp Kohler.

The engine spec number that I have for an AC 16 hp Kohler is K341s 71171A I'm trying to verify this as original spec which should bolt right in use the same electrical system and front pulley. In addition, What is the K361 specification for these tractors?