Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Found holes in gas tank

Allis_B12

Hi, I'm prepping my B-12 parts to be primed, then painted. Today, I started work on the gas tank. All the gas leaked out of the tank, because the paint on the underside was wet. I wire-brushed(carefully) some of the paint away. I found about 15 holes on the underside of the tank. All of the holes are extremely small, but would easily leak gas. What should I do? The only thing I can think of, short of another tank, is to J-B Weld the holes. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions. Joel

Joel, I've had real good results with a product called Marine Tex(sp). I got it at a marine store, and was told I wanted the "gray". It is a 2 part thing and can be sanded, if you need to. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

You better look in the tank to see how much rust there is. If there are 15 holes found with a wire brush from the outside just think how much rust will be free to get into the fuel filter. I did the same thing on my landlord a few years back, I thought I would at least clean out the inside too my tumbling a few handfuls of driveway stones in it. Made it obvious it was junk. I then made a new tank, cheapskate that I am.:p

I emptied the rust from the tank this afternoon. Many large flakes of rust came out. Anyways, I tried J-B Welding it, since it was recommended for gas tanks. I don't want to clean the tank with small stones because I'm afraid of creating many larger holes, if the tank wall happens to be thin. Thanks, guys.

I heard about the same solution from a marine store. You put in the resin, turn the gas tank such that the resin coats the entire inside, and when it hardens, you have effectively a new interior resistant to further destruction. It would solve the rust problem too. It's probably just a low viscosity epoxy... Torin...

My Big Ten had the same problem. I used a clear epoxy called Liquid glass??? It mixes up thin and will spread easily. I coated the bottom of the tank, put on a good wix fuel filter in line, and went to mowing. It has not leaked since. (I lightly sanded first with fine grit sandpaper. Eventually I will have to get another tank.

Another product I have read about on the Farmall page is Kreme. You put it on the inside of the tank after you clean the rust and debris out. It is popular with motorcycle owners. Could probably find it at an autoparts store or cycle shop. Stan