Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
paull

rear wheel wobble

paull
Today I noticed that the rear wheel (left wheel while seated on tractor) on my 416H had about 1 inch of play (uh oh). All that I had to do was tighten the setscrew holding the key in place and no more wobble, fine . Now the question. Before I tightened the setscrew and locked the lock nut down, there was about 1 inch of tire rotation play in each direction WITHOUT the assistance of the setscrew. Is this acceptable? The keyway on the hub which the wheel attaches to is wider than the key and keyway on the axle. This is probably the source of the play (which is gone for now). Will the wheel wobble return ? Is the hub which the wheel attaches to shot because of the widened keyway? Paul L.

Hi Paul, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but yes the hub is more then likely shot along with the axle shaft. When you tightened the set screws one of which indexes into a hole in the axle shaft. What more then likely will happen is that the set screw that sets into that hole in the axleshaft will break off and you will not be able to get the hub off period. The hub keyway and the axleshaft keyway should not have any play in them at all before you tighten the set screws. What you did is just prolong a problem that can only get worse. Been there and done that one myself. The new axle shaft comes with the hub welded already on the axle shaft and runs about $80. or close to it and if you can find a new hub of the older style like yours will run about $60. or close to it. You can try to find a good used hub but even if you do chances are the axle shaft keyway is also bad. What I have done and this was suggested by a dealer was to weld the hub to the axle shaft and by doing so you have about a 90% chance of it lasting for a long period of time. I have done 3 of these now and they have all held up but one and that was the fault of myself by not putting a heavy enough of a bead where the hub and shaft come into contact with one another. The way you fix it is all up to you but I would try to weld it first as at this time you don't have anything to lose. Hopefully another member can help you out also. I did recomend this to another member but I don't know which way he decided to go. Best of Luck->happyjack<-

PeppyDan
Hi Paul, Another idea on how to repair this problem is to file or machine the keyways out to a larger size key. You may not need to go deeper with the keyways, only wider, and then just file the keys thickness down to the needed size. Keys can be made from standard sqaure steel if you can't find any in the size you need. The axle, hub, and Keys are all made of fairly soft material, so this process will be easier than you may think. I hope this gives you another option to try and good luck. PeppyDan

dlcentral
Not necessesarily is it shot.Take off the hub,remove the key and just check how much play exists between the hub and axle.As long as it's LESS than 1/16" you could take the hub to a machinist and have him simply cut a new keyslot,preferrably over the other setscrew hole if possible,thus gaining your axle/hub a "New Life". dlc

Good_Ole_JR
YOU COULD TAKE YOUR HUB TO A MACHINIST AND HAVE YOUR HUB SLEEVED. THE SHOP WILL BORE OUT THE HUB OVERSIZED, THEN INSERT A SLEEVE--WELD IT IN PLACE THEN REKEY IT. THIS SHOULD MAKE YOUR HUB LIKE NEW AGAIN.