Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need help with History Section update

Les

Looks good to me. One clarifacation on Homelite..
quote:
Hitch spacing was different from AC/Simplicity models up until early 1973. The dash/cowl, running boards, and front axles were exclusive to Homelite. The T-8 appears nearly identical to the AC Homesteader series. The FE Series appears to be totally unique. After the 1973 closing of the Lexington plant, Homelite models were made in Port Washington.
The lexington built T-8's were identical to the Homesteader save for the dash and hoods which were close resemblances of the larger T-10 through T-16's.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Les

• SmilinSam

• Kent

• MPH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, I just sent Kent another update including a Powermax section. All in all I am very pleased with the history section, very interesting reading. Sorry about all the extra work for you Kent.

Latest version is posted: http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/history.htm Let's see if we can get a random Toro Wheelhorse or Cub Cadet ad this time... :)

All of the 7000 and 7100 series Simplicities had the black cowl. The change came when the entire frame was painted black, leaving only orange hood, seat deck and running boards. This made it easier to make Allis, Massey, and Simplicity versions on the same line. I guess that I should change it to "new" orange over black paint scheme. Prior Allis and Duetz-Allis versions did not have the black cowl.

Allis Chalmers 920 Diesel [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/920_diesel/controls_small.jpg[/img] Simplicity 7790 Diesel [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/7790_diesel/7790%20Diesel%202.jpg[/img] Allis had orange cowl Simplicity had black cowl

I will continue to make edits to the history section so please keep giving me information. Any ideas on what the next expansion could be? For that expansion someone is going to have to provide me all of the information because I have already put down everything I know!

• 3 weeks later...
I just bought two Simplicity brochures off eBay (they arrived today). There are no 7100 series in the 1987 brochure -- it jumps from the 6516 to the SunStar. The 1989 brochure shows a 7117H in addition to the 17GTH and 16GTH (previously called the 6500 series) and the SunStar. Also, it describes the 7117H as having "full-pressure lubrication" which tells me it was a Series II Kohler, since it was obviously a flat twin.... Too bad these are copyrighted so I can't post them to Simple trACtors without getting permission from Simplicity....

Kent: Regarding the "new" brochures you've just purchased: is it a big deal to get permission from Simplicity to reproduce their own documents here? I would think that, by now (i.e., given all you've done, personally, as well as the other major contributors here) to popularize the Simplicity name, that Simplicity, Inc. would assign someone from their P.R. or Marketing departments to act as a liaison to you. Maybe this is already the case? If so, one would assume that they might streamline the process somewhat for you, once they've researched it with their legal eagles a couple of times. Perhaps they'd even have a form you could sign and fax them, when you'd like to publish a "new" brochure, with preapproved legalease stating it was just for the exclusive use of a few (million?) tractorophiles? Speaking of "major contributors": Les--the History Section is outstanding! I really mean it. After I got over being struck with how complicated Simplicity's nomenclature is, historically, the whole thing has, for the first time, started to make some sense! I love how you give us less informed enthusiasts numerous references (a trail of breadcrumbs? I.e., I was lost prior to reading this, at least regarding the '70's and up) of what a tractor's lineage is, even after a name change. The comparisons to the AC counterparts are invaluable as well. I think the whole "System" years leave me the most baffled, but I understand it much better than I did. I really admire the way you are able to be so concise, and not get bogged down in an overload of detail, while still cutting to the essence of this often confusing (re: the nomenclature) history. The Powermax section was a welcome addition, as I am fascinated by these rare (at least where I am) birds. Re: your goal to make it "as interesting as possible," I have a suggestion that, as usual, will involve a lot of work for Kent. As I was reading, I was wishing there was a highlighted model name in each section, so I could click it an immediately see a picture of a typical example of the model being discussed. For example, I wouldn't know a "Legacy" if I tripped over one, but I can picture the '60's tractors clearly in my mind. I'm sure everyone has similar holes in their mental Simplicity maps? Further, I would suggest that the first, "typical" example of a given model then have a bolded link next to it, titled "For More Information..." and this would lead directly to Kent's already existing, excellent sections. (Oopps--I see Doug has already suggested this second part.) That way, the history would "pop" even more, and people would be able to visualize more of the nuances you are discussing, without losing their place in your history as they try to find these sections for themselves. (Kent: the man asked for "interesting"--he didn't say anything about "easy"--LOL!) :D This History will be invaluable to me in my quest for bigger and better machines. I think I'll print a copy ('er, with your permission?) and put it my pickup as a reference. Thanks again! Peter