Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 Skidder

MPH

Got a little more clearing done behind the house last week, had the 550 JD come out and doze the roots up, whatta mess he left, might try fixin it some today.. The trees I'm dreamin of geting some 6x6 and 6x8 timbers outta.

4040 skidding 'em out

starting a pile

Thats all I get

After the dozer left

poked in somewhee around 1000 feet on trail like this including my west property line of 450ft

Great Pics Marty, Isnt that land clearing fun.. I find it very relaxing. Did you stack with a loader or a cant hook? How long can those spruce poles set before you have to cut them? I had some popple beams here that dried in a barn for a little over a year, as soon as i set them into place they warped..coincedence im sure, but thats other side of Irish luck. now can you plant some clover of anykind to feed tarmigan?

Marty , Are those trees being clipped off? The stubble seems pretty big for a chain saw and i dont see any chip piles. Doug whats tarmigan? If he plants clover he will need be hives.

Doug, not sure relaxing is the word for wailling my huskie 61 up and down them spruce, but it is fun. Leroy, I cut the trees with chainsaw. I leave the stump a little tall cause they doze out better, he hits the top with the blade to break 'em lose then tumbles the root-mass around losing a good portion of the moss, which I need to try to turn dirt into topsoil. The saw chips get lost in the moss as one sinks into it 4-6 inches when walking. Kirk, your close. Besides for the the mosquito for tthe state bird the tarmigan is in the grouse family and turns white with the snow. Not a lot of them in the Tok area as they like higher country above tree line in the willow brush. Next spring I hope to plant hairvetch in it to put some nitro in the dirt and maybe break down the moss and roots in my lifetime. Spent about two hours out there with the 4040 and that railroad spiketooth harrow, got a ple of roots burning about 10 foot in dia. and 4-5 foot high. That thing works but there must be something that would work better, just maybe not garden tractor size. Hmmm mini tub grinder and loader..Back to my derooting..MPH I like the bee idea, but I been told they don't winter up here, not sure on that.. Doug, the 3pt couldn't lift them so I stacked them one end at time with human power. Hope to cut 'em this fall yet, realistly, these tees are best cut in 28 in lengths, not REAL lumber makeing trees