Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dutch/ modified tiller for roots??

MPH

Just saw on the post about duals/ag tires that you modified the tiller on your animal 7010 to tear up roots. Wondering what you came up with and how well it works. I'm now dealing with 9000 sq ft of newly cleared spruce trees, full of root balls and run into all the time when I do lawns/gardens for other folks around Tok. Thanks..MPH

Marty are the root balls above ground or below, when you Mow, or till? What about a tiller with straight tines and fewer of them? I suppose rocks would be the problem...to bad these tractors couldnt handle a ripper....or, could they? naw!!! I suppose plowing then tilling is the way to fly? couple times a year?

The way my dozer man worked the dirt over, plowed it with his blade to tear the roots lose a lot of them were on top, past 2 days I harrowed out and burned a couple pickup loads of them. Of couse, plowing with a dozer blade he buried fair amount of them too. Thought about tilling with some sort of straight tines but really hate to beat the Simplicity Tiller as bad as I did my troybuilt on the rest of this place, and these mass of roots will do it. Rocks, Doug, I found a place without any of them things. Besides for a fire break, my desire to develop this area is there is 5 feet of sandy silt before you find any rocks, this be my new playground for enjoyment, not R&D on rock removal. Think the 4040 could handle a single ripper. Figure thats a good use for my pickax if I ever come across it again..MPH

Marty, What about a modified tiller that would float completely, ya know, not fixed, could bounce up a litte when the going got to rough. I helped gramps bring back a field in the early 90s that had sat for about 25 years...it filled with willow. We brushhogged it, then plowed with single breaker plow, but that plow would gum up about every 25 yards with roots. disced it out (hours and hours) and seeded with timothy/Alf mix. then oats for cover. In one season that transformed into a bueautifull 40 acres,...and it was FUN!!!! And now, many deer end up in a freezer becuase of it. Got your wood up for winter yet Marty?? Doug

quote:
Originally posted by Leroy
lol Animal
I think Monster would be in order.It looks like it would chew up anything that would get in it's path.Nice job Dutch;)

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Just saw on the post about duals/ag tires that you modified the tiller on your animal 7010 to tear up roots. Wondering what you came up with and how well it works. I'm now dealing with 9000 sq ft of newly cleared spruce trees, full of root balls and run into all the time when I do lawns/gardens for other folks around Tok. Thanks..MPH
Marty, I pull stumps and root balls first with a backhoe. All that remains are surface roots (less than 1" diameter), and vine runners. I made straight tines. Those worked, but I had a problem clearing them of twisted up debris. I then installed a bar with stationary knives to the underside (bolted to the rear reinforcement bar). That works fine by keeping the tines clear. I'll post a photo when I get it back from my brother. He's using it right now to clear a horse corral.

Doug, like Herb just said, tillers have the problem of twisted up debris, tore the shroud to bits on my Troy. A good heavy disc with notched blades would cut though most of this stuff when good and dry as the roots snap like pretzzels sp?? when dry. Herb, I had the stumps and main 'large' root trunk removed by a dozer. The roots balls I was refering to is the masses of 1/4 inch stuff that grows thoughtout the living spagmun moss and the inch or so of black stuff under it, which I guess is the likes of peatmoss.Thats the stuff I like to save to dig into this dirt as its a big step to makeing top soil outta dirt..Rained all night, and still raining so no playin out there today.. Doug, I have some good firewood left from last year plus a couple cords of green spruce from this project. I don't go out cutting til after freeze-up. Swaps are froozen to cross and the no-see-ems are gone..MPH