Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

DO I HAVE ENOUGH H.P.?

I HAVE A BROADMOOR 707 WITH A 8 H.P. BRIGGS. WILL THIS BE ENOUGH POWER IF I ADD A 32" SNOW THROWER TO IT? I AM THINKING OF PUTTING A 10.5 H.P. OHV BRIGGS OR A 11 H.P. OHV HONDA ENGINE IN IT. I WILL BE PLOWING MOSTLY LONG SIDEWALKS, I CURENTLY HAVE A WALK BEHIND 27" BLOWER. I AM LOOKING AT CUTTING DOWN ON TIME CLEANING UP SNOW. THANK YOU FOR ANYONES INPUT. JOE

I'd keep the Briggs you have now. The side-valve Briggs have a lot of torque, which is what you want for snowblowing. OHV engines have cleaner emissions and are all the rage today, but don't handle hard work (snowblowing, mowing, tilling) like the old engines. You'll hear frequently on this forum about people who have 8, 10, or 12 hp tractors that will mow better than their neighbor's new tractor. If you really want or need a more powerful engine, I'd try looking for a larger, old-style Briggs. From time to time, there will be running engines like that for sale on this site. I may be just a kid, but I expect many other people on these boards to agree with me. Have a good day... Joel

I had a 707 and a 738 with a 32 inch wide thrower.(same thrower) Both handle thrower with no problems:). You need to run motor wide open. I found the best time to run thrower is at nightime.:) Muffler turns red.;)^8D If I was you I keep the L head style motor that in it. They have more power than OVH valves motors have. Both tractors had a 8 horse Briggs.

I thought about changing my engine in my Broadmoor, but my grandpa said I had better keep the 7 horse engine instead of a new OHV engine. He use to have and old Simplicity too that he blew snow with and his had the 7 horse engine in it. If I were you, I'd stick with the origial motor in it. Hope this helps! thanx,,

I agree,a nice 10-12 horsepower L head Briggs is the better choice,Cheaper and more available.I not so sure the OHV configuration is identical.Cables ,lines and hoses L head to L head bolt right up.Overhead valve engines do run smoother and quieter but L heads work just as well for most applications.

MY TWO CENTS: I have a 1966 707 with a 7 horse that does the job for me. The only real complaint I have with it as far as blowing snow is it has a hard time with hills, even small ones. You will also want to put plenty of weight on the back of the tractor.