Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

32" Front mount Mott Hammerknife mower

pvbjr

I Purchased a 32" Mott Hammerknife mower last summer that was originally on a Landlord. The seller had little info. on it but it definitely fits Simplicity's. I have had it on my 3212 Soverign, but can't figure out how the pulley configuration works. It used to be Yellow but was painted red and yes the MFG# is no longer there. It mounts of the front and runs off of the "through grille pto" on the early Simps. and AC's. Does anyone know anything about this, or who I could contact to find out?. It look's like a mean piece of equipment if only I could figure out how it mounts?

I do have the tow behind type of mower and it does a very good job on tall grass. It uses a 7 hp engine and does stall quite a bit if the grass is to tall. I think that the co. is still in bisness since this unit is only 8 yrs old

Hi, I used to have a Mott 6 ft 3 pt hitch mower on 35 hp Ford diesel. They are a very good mower and are much safer about throwing things that rotary blade mowers. They also never bunch the grass. The only thing is they are a pain to sharpen. Mine had 288 blades. We used a small angle grinder and sharpened them on the mower. The Mott company was bought by the Alamo group a number of years ago. Alamo was bought by Woods Co about 5 years ago. Parts [blades etc] should be available from Woods. I looked in our Woods catalog and they only build the larger units any more. and our parts books don't show this unit you have. I remember the unit being advertised in about 1970, but that is about all I remember. I have loaned out my old Simplicity parts books, but will contact the person and see if there is any info in them. Good luck, Al

Does this attachment have about 4 nasty looking blades just poking out from under the front housing? If so,it's a brush cutter indeed a nasty[before OSHA ruined all the GOOD STUFF!] piece of equipment,meant for cutting saplings up to 2" in dia.!There is a pic of it under Sim Landlord mod. 2110. circa '67 I believe,, on this site.It cuts brush AND windrows it all in one pass.My friend has one,but I've never saw it operate. He says it's a pleasure to watch!Pics of it are Courtesy of our Founder,,,Kent!If nota brushcutter,, THEN it's a new attachment that I've never seen before! BTW the belt should hook up to it[if it's the brush cutter??] the same way as the snowthrower does. dlc

Hi, The Motts are built like a reel type mower with no bed knife and instead of a blades on the reel the rotor has a lot of free swinging sets of knives that are pinned to ears welded on the rotor. The knives are about 3/4 by 6" with the ends bent 45 deg. about 1 1/4 in. back from the end. 2 knives one bent right and one bent left are on each set of ears. The sets of knives overlap. The roller controls the height. The Mott mower cut the best of any mower I ever used. it just drops the grass about 4" behind where it cuts it off. The grass is spread perfectly and you can turn and recut etc and it never bunches. The only draw back is maintainance. after about 4 years of commercial use, I replaced mine with a 6' 3 blade 3 point Woods. Not because of performance, but it was 144 cotter pins and pins to remove and replace when I replaced or reversed the knives, and 288 to sharpen when it needed sharpening. Otherwise I loved the mower. They are also pretty quiet and don't tend to throw objects because the large roller is directly behind the knives. Woods still makes these flail mowers, and build them for commercial use with up to 3 6'sections one undermounted and 2 wings to cut 18 feet at a time on a large utility type tractor. Hope this isn't too cloudy, if so hollar. Good luck, AL

• 3 weeks later...
I was just browsing through the "new in 67" section of the Model 2012 landlord and under the list of other implements was my Mott Hammerknife mower. I contacted Alamo corp. who currently owns Mott and I was told that their records did not go back futher then mid 70's, so that will not work. I thank all of your responses so far and would appreciate any additional info. from anyone else. Thanks once again.