Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Brent - SuperTrapp - Thank You

Dutch

Just wanted to thank Brent Baumer for buying, testing, and reporting on the SuperTrapp muffler. I was considering buying one myself. Brent’s initiative saved me over $100 and disappointment. I hope that someday the Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractor Club will collect dues and appoint members to conduct this type of research. That way, the costs will be borne by all those benefiting. But, it seems such may only happen sometime in the future. The way I look at it, if there was a magazine that had the information available on this forum, I would gladly buy it every month. Therefore, to thank Brent properly, and help him offset his expenditure, I just sent him a few dollars via PayPal.

Dutch, I suspect that Brent missed my reply in the thread, but I offered to take his deal and buy that muffler. Brent, Still offering the deal ?

Dutch, Since you mentioned Club Testing of designs or components it got me thinking about several items. I have been thinking of designing some quieter mufflers for my tractors. Since I have more than one machine I could try several designs. First thing that I was wondering was that if I see that I have a quieter design, would someone want to test it with a sound meter? Second, if it worked, would the general membership want drawings, or would they want someone to build and sell them? Third, should they be universal, stack, or specific to a chassis like the ones on the 700, 7100 tractors? Fourth, should they be fabricated from stainless steel so that the will basically last forever? (I have a stainless steel muffler on a push mower that was fabricated and given to my grandpa in 1969. It has outlasted four engines) Fifth, Cost is relative to the detail of the design. To make a muffler that is quiet but does not create much flow restriction, will be complicated. Should cost be considered as a major design factor, especially if they are being built in someones garage? In other words, if I can create it, how much could someone afford to pay for it? Guaranteed that a quiet muffler will not be a $10 universal design. Most of the designs that I have looked at are very labor intensive.

I would like to thank Brent for buying and testing the muffler also. Brent 1 question. I saw in the post that the muffler was outside the body of the tractor. What if you plumbed it on the inside and pointed in down?? do you think that would help in noise reduction?? just some thoughts. JH

This type of Supertrapp would probably do a much better job of acting like a muffler: http://www.supertrappind.com/disc_technology/disc_technology.htm Note the packing and such that it has.

If I keep it (still undecided) I am definitely gonna have to re-plumb as the exhaust chokes you out after awhile in it's current position. The problem with re-plumbing is the same problem everyone who has tried messing with the exhaust has had - getting the old rusty fittings unseized without busting the head. May work on it this weekend. Glad you all appreciated the post. Brent

Brent, When I got my B-12 it looked like a long horn steer from the exhaust pipe an old mechanic had put on it. I was fortunate that it had a long pipe on it so I could get two pipe wrenches on it and put all the pressure on the twist and not on the block. I sprayed it with penatrating oil and applied heat and then sprayed it again while hot to try and loosen it up. It came right out after that. I then used a Pipe tap to clean the threads. I was lucky to find one to borrow. I assembled the new pipe with antisieze on the threads. I have had it apart a couple of times since and it actually came right out after loosing the lock I had put on it. I too got tired of the exhaust in my face, that is why I put on the stack I have. Good luck, Dale.