Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B110 at auction yesterday

ambler

I went to an auction yesterday. He died in his eighties with the accumulated debris of a lifetime that we were pouring over. There was a B110 there that was in superb shape with good deck and snow blade. It didn't need restoration. It was original, and had lived its life in his garage. The old man had mounted a chrome mack truck bulldog on the peak of the hood. I dropped out of the bidding at 400 and it went for 460. I'm in the middle of a different project and didnt want the distraction. But she sure was pretty. A 17 year old farm boy bought it and I gave him the simple tractor website. Should I have gone higher? What if I see others? Any interest out there?

For one in real nice shape, don't think I could have quit that soon. Sound like maybe it went to a good home and may spark a young man down a good road..MPH

I think you did the right thing by letting it go ^to the 17 year old! How many young people are interested in these old tractors? He must have knew what he was doing? Who else was bidding? Hopefully the young guy will join the club:D & use it as a learning experience and keep the club going for future generations. Who knows we might learn a lot from him :):D It sounded like a nice tractor ;)

Speaking of kids and old tractors, I just picked up an old JD 110 and my grandson can not wait to start tearing it apart with me ( he is 9 years old). He helped his Dad on one of his restorations. Fred Wood

It sounds like a great tractor:) That was loved by the old guy:) The kid that bought it saw the value in it or he wouldn't have paid that price to buy it:) We can only hope he respects the tractor as much as the first guy;) And he joins the club and gets addicted like me and many of you:D

That old man had an incredible collection of stuff. He was a contractor and had a big old AC loader/ backhoe that he never let anyone else run and even an old crane. I wish I wasn't rebuilding some 7016s or I wouldn't have let it pass. I pull an engine today. I have signed up for a small engine class at the local community college and they plan a certification course. Hell, This gives me something real to do. As a scientist we deal with the ephemeral.

Its unreal how "people" set up values... When I think about whats offered in todays market it seems unreal to me. On one hand, you can take about 1000 bucks to lowes and buy a mower...If you mow 5+ acres as I do and get a year out of it your ahead in the game.. On the other hand, You see posts like this. But being far from the norm ( least around here ) lets say the engine was dead and the BGB was shot. You pay 460 and you have 540 left.. You tear down the engine and decide top notch rebuild... Bored and sleeved to standard. 100 bucks leaving 440. Piston, rings, rod, valves and overhaul gasket set... Been a while but guessing 140 will cover it... Leaving 300. About 100 will cover both shafts and the seals and bearings and 50 for gears. You still have 150 for belts, blades etc.... But now weigh what you have against the stuff from Slows err Lowes...... I doubt anyone would argue which will cut prettier or pull a plough better and when and if it does break, you have something worth fixing.. Putting money in mickey mouse mower is kinda like putting a polish on a cow pie.. even if you get it to shine, its still a cow pie ! LOL Old Simplicity mowers are a great value ! ! ! ! ! ! Salt

I grew up in the country in the 50-60s and we had a one acre wooded lot that I pushed an old briggs mower over. Took me three hours. I moved back to the country 10 years ago, buying a ten acre spread. The first tractor was a Dynamark and I was allways rebuiding the deck then a craftsman III and I was always working on it. Then the guy who tows my car an does small engine work showed me an early 7117. O the power I was hooked. This past year the bug got worse, I bought two more 7100 and two 7016s which I am rebuilding. That young man caught me at the wrong time, in the middle of a project. I need at least three running at all times in the summer, otherwise the grass will get ahead. I also got a blower and a dozer blade. Last years 70+ inches cured me.