Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

402707 CARB. QUESTION

johnerj

Anyone know how to safely remove the insert that the needle valve sits in? I bought a rebuild kit for the carb and it came with a little round insert with a hole in the bottom, I am sure this is to replace the seat for the needle valve, but I don't have a clue how to get the old one out. It looks to be pressed into a blind hole, in other words I can not press it out from the other side, because the hole does not go all the way through. I thought of using an easy out?? But surely don't want to damage the carb. Should I just leave the old one in, and replace the needle valve? Thanks very much to anyone who has suggestions on this. As of now the carb is soaking, and I would like to put everything I got in the kit into it.

on the engines / carbs i have , the part your refering to should unscrew from the carb body, if you remove the valve, the seat part should be next to be removed --- is this a B&S Carb?

Hi Michael, Yes it is briggs carb. It is a 16 HP twin. There are no threads on the new one. I had a 8 HP briggs that screwed out, and it had 2 notches in the top for a flat blade screw driver, but this one does not. Thanks for the reply, John

The seat is pressed in to the carb on this model. Using an appropriate size tap, you cut threads into the old seat. A bolt to fit the threads and washers or a short piece of pipe just small enough for the seat to pass through, are needed to remove the seat. Start with enough spacers that will allow your "puller bolt" to screw about half way into the thread cut into the seat. Tighten the bolt until it bottoms out in the seat. remove the bolt and add a few more spacers and tighten the bolt again. Continue until the seat is pulled free. The new seat can then be pressed in. Pat

Well thanks Pat, great idea. Not much wall on that small thing, just have to be very careful what size tap to use, but I'll give it a try. Thanks again. John

I used a screw extractor and a tap handle to remove a throttle shaft bushing on my 243431 Carb. You carefully but firmly insert the screw extractor and turn it until it bites, then continue to turn as you apply a slight pull on the handle. It eventually turns itself right out. I would however use the tap method since turning out a bushing too much might prematurely wear the bushing housing. Mine turned out fine though, and the new bushing press-fitted in with an expected resistance. Torin...

Thanks a lot Pat, this method of taping worked perfectly. I used a 1/4-20 tap and screw then ground the edges off of a couple 5/16 nuts to fit in between the little tabs that hold the float rod. As you said it came right out. Now I'll take it to work and press the new one in, and I should be back up and running tomarow. Thanks again Pat, that was a big help.:D