Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is this tractor?

TucsonJohn

I'm a new member of this club and I just had a garden tractor follow me home last weekend, and I'm trying to ID it. It appears to be a simplicity landord or an Allis B-10 with a cast iron briggs engine, It appears to have been painted blue originally. The engine is electric start and it has a 3 speed transmission (which won't go into reverse or 2nd gear). The tractor has been repainted and all the decals were painted over. it had a stripe going down the center of the hood that was white with 2 narrow color stripes on both sides of the white. I'm not sure of the colors. where would I look for a ID tag on this tractor? I currently own a 1960 wheel horse tractor and 3 much larger farm tractors (48 farmall H, 48 Allic WC, and a case LAI) Thanks, John

Any way you can post a pic or 2 ? From what you offered there are a lot of simplicitys that could be it. Need to narrow things down some if you can. Salt

Sounds like you may have found a Simplicity-made Homelite... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/homelite/homelite_lineup.jpg[/img] http://www.simpletractors.com/homelite/simplicity-made.htm

John, I'm with Kent on it sounding like a Simple Homelite. Your tanny sounds locked up, if do a search there are several posts on how to unlock them with a bent screwdriver though the fill hole on the top rt-hand side of the tranny. It works, been there done that. Some guys are better at explaining what they did in the process, me, I just wiggled and pryed around til it worked, and not sure how to explain that to someone in words.. You use that LA case in pulls? Hows it do? Spent many of my childhood hours on a DC case farmboyin' in Nebraka. My brothers dad in-law bought it on the farm sale and he has dibs on getting it, could cause family rivia...MPH

If it was originally blue, I would agree that it's a Simplicity built Homelite. On the other hand, the stripe down the hood points to a Simplicity, as the Homelite had two wide blue stripes while the Simplicity had a wide white stripe down the center with a narrow black stripe on either side. Can you post a pic? If not, is it a vertical or horizontal shaft engine? What are the engine numbers? That would help if it's the original engine. On the horizontal shaft, they are stamped into the blower housing just above the tractor frame on the carb side of the engine. Early models have the numbers stamped into a plate on the cylinder cover. Hard to read, but can be seen through the upper left hand (facing the grill) of the grill. On the vertical shaft, they are stamped into the blower housing right above the spark plug. Pat

I belive this tractor is vintage 1963 or 64 and it doesnot look like any of the homelight tractors I've seen pictures of. If what I read is correct simplicity didn't start making tractors with the homelight name until sometime in the 70's, this one is deffinately earlier than that. Also the hood was blue not white. I'll try to get some picture of it tommorrow thanks, John

To my knowledge, Simplicity never made tractors for Sears. I believe Sears tractors were made by David-Bradley during that time period. The engines were horizontal shafts, but mounted transversally, on these models. Pat

I seem to remember a post a while back about a B-10 that appeared to be originaly blue and white. Sears garden tractors of the middle 60's thru 70's, I think were made by roper. Simplicity never made sears tractors, I could swear to that. Would need to see a picture of the tractor. -Chris

John check this post http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20985 In there somewhere is a B-1, B-12, B-110 and a Simplicity 2012. If yours doesnt look like any of those speak up and I'll go out behind the garage and get you a pic of a David-Bradley and a Sears Suburban made by Roper to compare to. Somewhere here Tanman posted a pic of a Speedex, thats another possibility. I cant think of any that had a blue hood though.

It just so happends that I saw a flyer from a 69 sears suburban. One of the pic had a blue hood. It did not have a white strip however but Maybe it could be a suburban? hope this helps Elon

I have gone thru the gallery pictures and As close as I can tell it is a land lord or a landlord 101, it has no grill emblem. This is most definately a simplicity made tractor, not a wheelhorse or sears or cub cadet.yhe only thing that puzzles me is that it looks to me to be painted blue from the factory. I have digital photos but haven't been able to figure out hot to post them yet

John Click on reply you can not use quick reply. in the reply window click on the paper clip icon, click on browse and find the picture in your computer where you stored it. If the picture name has spaces or symbols in it rename the file with out them. Make sure the file is under 100KB in size if it is not resize it to 640 X 480 click select then click upload and you should be home free. Click on reply you can not use quick reply.

Click on the paper clip icon

Click on browse

find the picture in your computer Select it click open

Click on Upload file

Click on Close window when finished uploading

Img URL will be placed in your post

Skip lines between Pictures. It make a neater post and easier to View

I agree, Dan... That's a great photo explanation... Must have taken a while to do, also! Thank you, Maynard! Maynard, why don't you combine it with the text of your sticky in the forums?

Well, I'm NO expert, heck I can't even write an accurate history section, but my guess would be a panzer.

Again, I'm no expert, but if you do have one of these blue panzers, you have a very rare tractor.