Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

??? Milky Hydro Fluid ???

johnerj

Got my carb back on my 616 today, (Thanks to Pat), and after doing a little mowing it started to wine, sounded as if it was coming from the rear end, so I checked the fluid, and it looked milky? Is this normal? Thanks again John

quote:
Originally posted by johnerj
Thank you for the advice. Does the fluid in the cup under the seat drain from the bottom or are there 2 fluid resivors?
If this is a 616 "powermax" you need to remove both the hydraulic oil temp. sending unit and the hydraulic fluid inlet elbow from the front of the transmission case to make sure all of the oil is out of the case. If you do have water (and you probably do) this is where it is most likely to hide out. Also remove the dipstick so air can get into the top of the case. Replace the filter. Hydrostatic transmissions quite often whine especially under heavier loads where the relief and acceleration valves begin to crack open. Whining could also indicate air entrainment (your oil would look foamy). This can be caused by the wrong or contaminated oil. Good Luck;)

Thank You Paul, This is a small frame same as my Simp. 6216. I have not had it long, and I have never had a hydro before. In any event I will begin to try and figure out how to drain the fluid. I don't think it has a filter or dip stick, just a cup under the seat. So the wine sound should be normal? This would make me feel a little better, because as we speak I have my 3 sp. from my 6216 torn down doing a rebuild, OH I should say (EXPENSIVE) rebuild, one gear $155 OUCH ![V] and I need 4, plus all 6 needle bearings and seal kit ect. The tranny will be worth more than the whole tractor when it's done, but it should last another 20 years. Just don't want another bad tranny on my hands.

Thank you UCD, I did find the page about checking the fluid in one manual, but not how to change it. Really appreciate your time to help me out. What else can I say, everyone here is just great people. This is the second time I have had a problem posted, and an answer by the next morning. You just can't get help like that anywhere else. I will change my fluid tonight.