Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Welded Hub

Guest Jef

Happy Jack, Today I had my B-1 left rear hub welded to the axle. We use nickel welding rod for cast iron. I hope it works. But at the least this is the first time in years the left rear wheel isn't flopping around on the axle every revolution. I'll let you know if and when it breaks. Roy

Hi Roy, Glad to hear you were able to get the hub welded. Like I said before I did have one weld break but it was my fault by trying to make it look to pretty after grinding away to much of the weld. I have not had to weld the inside area as my hub wasn't broken like yours was. I have been really putting the welded hub thru the rough stuff by having to plow 7-9 fairly large driveways each time it snows and its still hanging in there. I run 55lbs of weight on each rear wheel and another 45lbs off the rear hitch assembly along with my 185lbs of body sitting on the seat so it sure does not lack enough weight for traction. Best of luck to ya->happyjack<-

Yes, we welded around the bore & axle on the outside (wheel side). Then we welded around the hub & axle on the inside (transmission side). We also ran beads between the axle and hub where the missing section of hub was located. Roy

• 1 month later...
I have never had the problem of breaking hubs. But before you welded the hub did you check and see if the set screw for it had broken off and stuck in the hole? I have a Simplicity 700 that this happened to. I have to drill it out and the will start over. Having it welded screws you later if you mess up the threads that boly on the tire.