Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grinding transmission

ehertzfeld

i have a small grinding problem in my rearend/transmission. I own a BroadMoor 5008. Is there any addjustment on these old tranies? Elon C Hertzfeld

Maybe this should get moved to the "Talking Tractors Forum". I think you would get more response from there. But I would guess that maybe your clutch/brake band could us adjusting.

Your trouble is the transmission belt is still trying to turn when the clutch is pressed.Take a look under the tractor at the 2 "L" brackets near the top pulley. use a good light so you can see. Try and tell if they have been moved. Also take a look at the transmission belt while you are there. if the belt is "Limp", soft or has cracks in it,, Replace it. Ok, back to the "L" shaped belt guides.. THey are there to hold the belt from falling from the pulley.. But also to hold the belt in a loop. Think of how a belt looks when you see one with the cardboard sleeve still around it.. The ends make a Loop..Well, this is what the belt guides do also. When set up correctly the belt will stand out from the pulleys. Grease and oil will also make a belt "Creep" while the clutch is pressed. And also leads to the soft belt I mentioned before. Good luck Salthart

HI, The above post is correct. When the clutch is engaged, the belt guides under the engine should be withing 1/16 and 1/8" of the belt. When the clutch is released, the belt "springs" out against the guides and this stops the belt from "coasting" and causing the tranny to still turn. Anytime you have grinding gears and a belt tightener clutch, check the belt guides 99% of the time this is the cause. The other thing these guides do is keep the belt "squeezed" to keep it from riding against the pulley on the front side of the engine and burning a spot in the belt when the unit engine is running with the clutch disengaged. The same thing happens with mower drive belts. Good luck, My 2 cents worth and its free value accordingly. Al Eden

Hi, I assumed you meant when shifting. Yes I know that when one assumes it means you make an ___ of u and me. If the tranny grings when running let us know and we can take another run at it. Al Eden

Yes when I am try to shift the gears grind. Salthart, the only keeper under the tractor is in the front of the engine pulley. Were should the l shapped ones be? Who far behind the pulley. I dont see where they would have been.

Hey thans Greg, that is just what I need. Im more of the type who need pics or diagrams. lol I just now need to make some stops. It looks like the are bolted using two engine bolts. Is that right? I have lots of parts off amd ole mower to use for them. How long should I make them hang down. Thank you to all who gave me help! Elon

They are bolted using the engine bolts. The part numbers for them are 172844 and 170786. Should be somewhere around eight bucks total at your Simplicity dealer.

Wow Greg, is there anything that you dont know about these things? I know who to ask when I get my self into more trouble! lol thanks for the info Elon

Elon, Glad I could help. There's lots I don't know....I just know where to look or just ask the fine folks in this club, they always help. Something else that might help you, if you don't have it already, is the System 5008 Broadmoor Operator's, Parts and Attachments Manual. You can download it here: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3503_00_BM_S.pdf

Hey Greg you the best! I just looked at your profile, and noticed that you live just were the Isabell "the hurricane" just landed. I hope the you and your family made it thru it ok. You restored my faith in people. Im sure with a major stom comming, you could have found better things to do other than try to solve my little problem. I owe you big time. If your ever in Ct please look me up. I would like to shake your hand!(then make the wife make us dinner) lol Dont tell her I said that! That will kill my tractor fund for sure!lol Thanks for all your help Elon C Hertzfeld

Elon, Thanks for the invite. If I ever get that far north I will look you up. I have a daughter that lives in Norristown, PA and that's about as far as I've gone in a long while. Isabel hasn't been very bad here, just a little windy and rainy, we're about 300 miles inland and all is well.