Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Found a New Tractor Option for winter

KSever

I was at a church garage sell today and come across a pair of electric warming socks, which I thought was a good idea for winter snow blowing. Not knowing what kind of batteries these little babies used I bought them anyway for the $.50 price tag. After getting home and sitting here watching the news I got to thinking about those socks and just opened them up out of the box which still had the plastic covers on the old batteries. And Come to find out they are powered by 2-6 volt lantern batteries which equals up to 12 volts HHUmmmm.... Got to thinking again..... Hey Honey I said to the Mrs I could cut off that battry box and wire these babies to a cigarette lighter plug and use these on the tractor cigarette lighter I am installing on the AC 314. As always she just laughed at me again But I said I'm going to have warm feet this year blowing snow... Good Idea or Not?

Yes, Great idea, sure is cheaper than buying a cab, now all you need is electrid gloves, cap, underwear, and goggles....to bad a guy couldnt find an electric suit, like blanket type thing......

Never owned one, but a guy I knew about fifteen years ago used to drive his BMW motorcycle all winter wearing an electric suit. Plugged right into the BMW.

That's a great idea. you can stay out there for hours with warm dry feet. they should have seat heaters too. I have to say though, I don't feel cold till I'm done playing. Kind of like when I was a kid...

I can't imagine walking around in socks and having to carry lantern batteries to keep them going.You would have thought they would use the little 9V square ones instead.

Just out of curiosity were the 2 batteries hooked up in series or parallel?? If parallel then they would be 6v socks that draw a bunch of juice, hate to see you hook them up to 12v and torch your socks and boots... [:0] Other than that it sounds like a great idea.. :D

I have a pair of heated socks, but they use two "D" cell batteries each. Have a pair of heated gloves, too. They also take two "D" cell batteries each. They work very well, but you have to snap the battery covers on or off to turn the socks or gloves on or off. Pretty hard to do when you are all bundled up, and the batteries only last for about two or three hours of continuious use. Personally, I prefer those little warmer packets that heat when you open them. I wear mittens and put a warmer in each one, and also put one in each boot. Pat

My bigest concern would be with the Amps. Do lantern batteries have as many amps as tractor batteries? Seems like a tractor battery would be so much bigger, it would just blow the socks apart. Steve

Amps are no problem if you have the correct voltage, I = V/R. I like those heater packs that you put into boiling water. It reverses the chemical reaction. When you need them you do something to a piece of metal and they give off heat for a few hours. When done, you "recharge" them with boiling water. I have not used them myself but some of my chemistry teachers use them for demos.

I just diolate my blood vessels . the first snow of the year its time to get bare footed .take a walk around the house. I allways run . I have been doing this for twenty years . I got a lot slack all ready . but when Ia,m wearing thin church socks an my feet are warm .everyone else is wearing two layer an can,t stand . I don,t care want they think .