Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Belt-Driven Generator?

Kent
I have A-C literature showing that a rear-mounted belt-driven generator was an option in 1966. I have an AC 914 with Kohler K321S engine @ 14 hp. I would like to mount a belt driven generator on the rear of the 914 and run from a belt and idler pulley similar to the 36" tiller. The generator that I am considering purchasing is a NH Northern (Northern Hydraulics) unit that produces 8Kw and turns CW or CCW. I can easily fabricate a steel mounting plate and belt tensioner for the unit. My real question is, has anyone out there ever tried this? Before I invest in the generator($600), I would like to know if the AC 914 will maintain a constant (+/- 7%) 3600 rpm under varying load conmditions. The Kohler 321S produces maximum HP at 3600 rpm, wide open throttle. Will the governor provide adequate rpm control? If not, I have wasted $$$ on the belt driven generator.

Al
Victor, Hi, It should work. These engines were used on generator sets, and worksed well. You will need to get matching pulleys as when the engine is running 3600 the generator need to be also. The crossdrives are about 1:1 so I would expect you would need the smae size pulley as on the cross drive shaft. Good luck, Al