Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

used tractor evaluation

gr-made

Sounds to me like the machine was used commercially with THAT many hrs. on it for being ONLY 2 yrs. old?Yes there is a "blue book" of sorts for used tractor values,maybe a dealer here can get you the name of it? As far as assigning a value to it, most of us here are into the antique side of this business.I'm sure someone here however will be able to help you with the research on it!This is a very intelligent group of helpful folks here, Good Luck and Welcome!! dlc

'm looking at a used Simplicity Landlord (18HP, 50" cut, electric lift) Its got 345hrs on it, and the dealer says its two years old. He has it priced out at $3400. I'm having difficulty evaluating this because I've only priced out new equipment. I have a line on a new Landlord (same configuration) at $5000. My questions are: 0) Is 345 hrs typical of two years service? My current tractor sees about 90hrs/yr of use. (30cuts per yr @ 3 hrs per cut.) 1) How long (in hrs) is a typical service life of those tractors? What failure type is encountered at the end of that service life? (Engine/frame/deck?) 2) Is there any place (such as Kelly Blue Book for cars) that I can look up used values? Also any opinions regarding the two above would be appreciated. Mark in Maryland

That's a pretty tuff tractor - hence it the name "Landlord" of which previous versions lasted 30 years +. Granted the "real" remaining Landlord today is really the new Sovereign but it can be considered "todays" new "hi-tech" Landlord. Consider that some people use their tractors all year round and you may account for more hours on it or perhaps it was cutting a 5+ acre lot. Check the rear hitch and see if it has been towing a cart. Age and hours do not mean that much on a good quality tractor as much as how it was cared for and the condition that it is presently in. Did you ask the dealer about the previous history of it and the reason it was traded in? He probably has serviced it and checked it over. Does it come with any warranty and is it from an authorized Simplicity dealer?

Mark- take a look at the undersides of the implements to determine how much of the 345 hours was spent mowing/tilling /blowing etc and how much time was spent pulling a cart, idling etc. Alot of paint should indicate less use. In terms of tractor longevity, 345 hours means barely broken in in my opinion. Paul L.