Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

broken bolts

thedaddycat
Start by drilling a small pilot hole in the bolt stub. Get an Easy-Out from the hardware store. I have seen them packaged as a drill bit and extractor together for a few bucks. Drill the hole out to the size that comes in the set. Gently tap the extractor into the hole, then turn it CCW. The left hand threads of the extractor in a coarse spiral will grip the inside of the hole and bite into it. Hopefully this gets the broken bolt out. I have done this on one of my engines before, no problem. Hitting it with a shot of PB Balster or Kroil will help too.

mowerman1193
This must be a common problem with these...My 64 Landlord smoked the bearing for the S/G and in the tear down process I came to a broken bolt that had been that way probably since before I bought the tractor... It was broke pretty much flush with the block so there was know way to get ahold on it with pliers.I was lucky though because it was not a clean (smooth) break and it had a little edge on it and I took a little punch and tapped on it lightly on the edge and got it loose and turned out enough to get ahold of it... Sometimes you can get lucky like that and other times you might have to try what daddycat said.. Good Luck with it....

Dadsy98
I also had a broken bolt for the S/G bracket. I used a 3/16"left handed drill bit. works about every time. Use a drill bit the same size as the EZ out takes. Then, if the left handed bit doesn't succeed you've got the hole for the EZ out. I've removed stripped or busted pipe nipples the same way. Steve