Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Three wheel tractor

dav

Just saw an oddity that I'm hoping someone can identify. Don't ya know that I didn't have a camera with me. It's a three wheel frame that is driven at the rear-rim has the sprocket on it-no motor or seat. two small coil springs to act as suspension for the rear wheel-by small I mean about 2 inches across and 8 inches high. The frame wraps completely around the back of the wheel to act as a bumper. The center is a flat plate with two pedals right at the front edge of it. I know that they are at the front by the angle that the feet will rest on them. They are brake pedals. The front axle does the steering by means of the pedal brakes and each front wheel has another coil spring the same size as the back ones. There is one fender left on it and it is painted a very faded red. The tire size must have been about an 8 inch rim by about 6 inch wide. The guy said it might be an Iron Horse (never heard of it) but doesnt know. Sorry my descriptive skills arent that good. Anyone got any clues? Should I go back and get it? I'm pressed for space but I'll stash it if someone knows what it is and wants it.

Dav.. At first I thought you were describing a David Bradley Tri-Trac, but they weren't steered by foot pedals,and the rear tire size was much bigger than the size you have stated. Also, I don't think the front wheels had fenders. Try to get some pictures if possible ... sounds pretty interesting. Dave

Here is a picture of a tri trac owned by my neighbor when I lived in Indiana, along with several of his engines. Taken at the LaPorte County Fair in July of 2002.