Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wisconsin TDA-12D, Dissassembly

JimC_Vt

Well, I decided to remove the wis.from the bolens 1254,it had an oil leak at the sump and it did burn/pass some oil .... The cylinder is scored with vertical lines ,and of course so is the piston,I am in the process of getting the tools to measure the bore,and see if it is oversized already .....there is a "0" stamped on the piston and another "0" stamped between the valves???) I am hoping it means it is standard ????/ You really got to love these old engines,all cast iron (heavy) this one has timken bearings (and the PTO side needs replacement) besides gaskets,seals ,and 1 bearing,piston and rings ,it should be a fairly simple staright forward rebuild ....once completed ,I hope it pushes snow well ! If anyone has any pointers ,please feel free to email me or post them as replies here ,I am not overly experienced wuth wisconsin's and any input would be appricated ..... BTW,I found a ball bearings in the sump upon dissasembly ......anyone know where it belongs ,I assume it is there to stop the engine from running backwards ???? But who knows ??? Have a great day ,Jim :D

quote:
BTW,I found a ball bearings in the sump upon dissasembly ......anyone know where it belongs
Only place I can think of that has ball bearings is the main bearings on the crank.

Hi ART,Nope, just one "ball" about 1/4" diameter ,I found it in the oil passage where you would drain the oil .... It might go at the end of the cam shaft (they are hollow)....but I'm really not sure ....maybe I'm missing more ???? Maybe I have one to many ???? I'll find out ......it will just take some time .... Thanks Jim

Ok Jim, think you got it. My Wis. S12-D, engine manual, side cut-away, shows a single ball, and it appears to be sitting in the end of the camshaft.

Hi Art ,Which side ,PTO side or ,flywheel side ,????? I believe it may stop the engine from turning in the wrong direction ,when started ! TIA,Jim