Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mower Deck Color

JimV

I am in the complete disassembly stage of a 48" deck (man. #1690021) restore. It was on a 3416H I purchased last fall. The deck is white in color. The 3416 pic's on SimpletraACtors all show a red-orange deck. Question - did the 3416 ever have a white mower deck? I'll re-paint it white if it did, if not I'm changin' it to red-orange. Thanks, Brent.

Brent, The white deck probably came off a 300 or 400 series AC. I think Simplicity had orange decks until they started painting all the attachments black. Of coarse I could be wrong since the only Simplicity I ever had in my collection was a 3212 with an orange deck. Tim

Brent: I maintain (endlessly!) for a friend a 7013S which has a 1690022 42" deck (the 1690021 was optional) which was originally white. Now that's a '74, and the 3416H is what? A '72 or so? I don't know if there was a paint change around then, but they were white as of '74-'75. Not much help, but free. Fred P.S.: I just took a look at Karl Brandt's site and his '73 3416H has an orange deck which appears original. So my best guess is now "orange". Fred

Hi, We have had a number of Simplicitys in our shop that had white decks. I don't remember exactly what year, but in the 3400 series vintage. Like it might have been a year or 2 situation. I just remember that seeing white decks on them is not that unusual. One thing that could be a factor is that the dealer before us sold both Sim. and AC and was an AC ag dealer. Maybe he had something to do with it, but I have seen them on tractors from quite a ways away from here. My 1 and 1/2 cents worth and it is free, so you be the judge as to how valuable it is. Good luck, Al

Brent: Ilooked at a 3416 last fall and it had a white deck. The paint was old and I assumed that it was original. Ialso found it odd, as my 7013's deck is orange.

The 3300-3400's were made when AC and Sim were 2 different entities,AC 300-400's at that time used white decks,Sim did the same,7000 ser. were orange,so if you want to have it "politically -correct" I vote for white,which was actually a grey-white,while AC's used an almond-white![how 'bout that??] dlc

Sounds like grey-white it'll be. Now to see if Merkamps (the local dealer) can get this color. It appears to be the same color as the hood, which will be a candidate for re-paint in near future. Thanks to all for the info. Brent.

To add to the confusion. Here is my fleet. 1971 3314V - deck is orange. 1972 3415H - deck is orange. 1974 3414S - deck is orange. 1974 712H - deck is white. MS