Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis B-10 Change engine to 12HP?

wrisleyk

I am rebuilding a 1964 B-10 and the engine is too far gone. It needs a new crank and I don't want to spend that kind of cash. I have a 12HP Briggs out back that I think I can swap the oil pan off of the original 9HP Briggs and I think it will bolt right up. Does anyone know if the 12HP will fit otherwise? Has anyone tried this before? I hope this works because the 12HP is a much better motor anyhow. Any help would be appreciated

Welcome!! Won't be a problem, but why would you have to switch the pan? Is the 12 horse the newer style with the oil fill in the block? Pat

The mounting holes are in a different location on the 12HP. There are tabs that stick out the sides instead of on the shaft and flywheel sides that are on the 9HP.

I should have asked first, is your 12 horse a Briggs cast iron model 30XXXX? Newer Briggs cast iron engines had the oil fill in the block, and no provision in the pan for an oil fill. You can use the older pan on newer engines, but the newer pan on an older engine will leave you with no oil fill. Never seen one such as what you are describing, not even in the parts book. Don't know of an aluminum 12 horse, but if there were such an animal, the mounting ears were cast into the block as there was no pan on those engines. I should add that Gilson made their own oil pan for these engines and the front axle pivot was cast into the that pan. It's possible that some other users of Briggs cast iron engines made their own pans. Pat

Yes is is a Briggs 300424 12HP with the oil fill in the block, and I believe it is cast iron. I guess I will end up with two places to add and check the oil if it fits together. The 12HP is out of a 1969 Wards/Gilson so you are probably correct about Gilson making the pan. Thanks for all your help!

Since you have a 300424, the pan from the 9 horse will fit. I believe you will have to remove the oil fill in the block and install a plug. Been a while since I messed with these, but it seems to me, if you use the oil fill in the block, you will have to cut the grill frame to allow clearance. Pat

I made the swap and it was a piece of cake. I left the old pan on the B-10 and set the 12HP right on top. The driveshaft lined up perfectly when I put the old pully on the engine. I am curious however if anyone knows. The 12HP doesn't have a shroud directly on top of the head like the old 9HP. It doesn't look like one was ever there but it seems odd. Does anyone know if this is correct? When it is running a ton of air blows across the top of the head so maybe it is OK.

As Kent said, the 12 horse and larger did not have a shroud across the top of the head, but there should be a piece of shrouding BETWEEN the blower housing and the head. Pat