Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

GT 816 Mower Deck

JBute

I recently bought a very nice Allis halmers GT 816 with a 36 inch mower deck. I was trying it out for correct operation and noticed that the deck will not stop turning when the control lever is placed in the stop position. Upon further examination I found that by shutting off the engine and then rotating the deck blades backwards from their normal direction of rotation, I could then restart the engine and the blades would stand still as they should of done when I put the stop lever in the stop position. The drive belts are new. Has anyone got an idea as to how to make this deck stop bt itself? I would really appreciate some ideas on this!! Jim Bute

Hi Jim: Congratulations on the purchase. Nice outfit. I have 811 GT with 42 inch mower. I don't know if the 36 is the same as the 42 or not but there may be a little rod about 6 inches long that acts as a brake on the main drive pulley. This rod will push up against the belt when the PTO lever is disengaged. That rod may not be touching the belt. Adjust it so it touches when the PTO lever is disengaged but not while mower is running or your new belt will soon be a hot old belt. Also there are a couple of wire or rod "L" shaped guides on both sides of the main pulley. Those need to be adjusted so they are close to the belt when PTO engaged. They help keep the belt from touching the pulley when PTO is disengaged. Del