Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Boney

Reccomendations, painting please

Boney
I have an opportunity to do some sand blasting on my tractor { my tractor love saying that} and as a a beginner i was going to start with the deck. My question is... I do not know how or with what I will paint it with. After I blast it i am going to put a primer on it. Not knowing what kind of paint i will put on it, what is the best type of primer for this situation? I know nothing about spray painting. I am going to use a medium size sand for the blasting does anyone see a problem with this ?

Tom_Byrne
MY TWO CENTS: Medium or a little lighter should be fine for what you are doing, although it's been quite some time since I blasted- others may know better. For primer I use Rustoleum, it always worked good for me. Just wipe your parts down with mineral spirits and allow to dry before you prime. As far as paint....HEY GUYS, HAVE WE EVER DISCUSSED PAINT? LOL! Lots of different opinions there, I'll give mine. I believe the 725 was more red than orange but not sure. If you are going to go orange, I use Allis Chalmers Orange implement paint from Ace Hardware. Use at least three coats. The drying time is a little long and it can run if you are not careful, but the results are great and the match is near perfect. Check my Profile page and look at the pi's of my 2010 and see if the color is close to what you want. For the white I just use Rustoleum Brite White. Good luck and keep us posted!

RonT
If you are able to use a sray gun and have a place to do it. I would use PPG or Omni(cheap version) epoxy primer. This stuff sticks very well and will prevent rust. Did my deck 2 1/2years ago with this paint on the under side is comming off but not the primer.

Tom_Byrne
No, I don't wet sand between the coats- just laid thin coats as reccomended. Please note: I dont know much about painting, there are much more knowledgable people than me here. Wet sanding may be better, I don't know. I don't go for "show quality", I work them but I want them to look nice.