Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GregB

Bent 42" Snowblower Auger

GregB
Went down to the pole barn yesterday evening and got the blower I purchased in the spring off the shelf to prep it for the season. I must not have checked it closely when I bought it because the blower auger will not rotate the whole way around with out hiting the rear of the housing near the output of the blower. It rotates freely elsewhere. If I rotate it around as far as it goes it looks like it is bent in the center about 1/8". I am going to try to straighten it. Couple of questions. How straight does it need to be? Has anyone done this before and how did you or would you do it? Also, is there anything else that might have gotten damaged at the same time? GregB

RickS
Greg, While I have never bent my blower, I have had to straighten the fins at times. I use a pipe wrench to bend the fins back into position. From what I have read on this site, the blower itself does not have to be perfect. One member even describes his blower as being hit with many baseballs. I think he has a problem with stones. I would straighten the blower out as needed to get it to rotate. Sorry I don't know what else would have been damaged in the process. Maybe someone who has taken the blower apart and rebuilt it could help. Rick..........

UCD
Get it to clear the tunnel houseing. When it snows go into a snow bank that the snow has been plowed into and is heavy packed push as fast as you can without stalling the engine. The auger will self straighten. Been there done that.