Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 871 Motor?

I recently obtained a free 871 with mowing deck, brush attachment and snow thrower attachment from the school system where I work maint. They were throwing it out because it threw a rod. I believe the trans is ok. I already know this motor is unavailable and the local parts supplier told me they can get parts but not engines. I called a welder who told me he could weld cracks in cast iron. Is this really possible? Or should I replace with a different engine,or are there any other engines that will work. I cant really afford to spend a lot of money here. What are my options?

Hi TimS, Any good welder should be able to weld cast iron to be as strong or stronger in some cases. Welding engine blocks is nothing new as it has been done for many years even with new engine blocks from some of the car manufactures depending on just were they needed welding. The only problem you might have is were the block needs to be welded also. If it is a stress area, an area that carries alot of force whether it be from were a bolt runs thru it or the cracks are in an area that is in or around a corner of the engine block it may not work. Alot just depends on how well the welder is experienced in welding cast iron. I would suggest that you take the block to your welder and let him be the judge and jurey as to whether he feels he can make a good job out of it. Sounds as though you are headed in the write direction and have nothing to loose and the most to gain. Best of luck and just maybe others can comment also. ->happyjack<-