Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Raking Rocks

BradW

After all the snow melted here in Indiana, I was able to see the tremendous amount of gravel I didn't realize I was throwing along with the snow. 2+ hours of raking #53 crushed stone is not for me. I do have the excuse the drive is fairly new, and not all that level or compacted. Stupid me. I did consider this possibility when I mounted the thrower and set the sleds as high as they would go. This, as it turned out, was not high enough. I am thinking about tacking or bolting a 1/2" pipe to the lower front of the thrower in between the sleds in an attempt to ride over the humps w/o picking up the stone. Anyone out there tackled this one before or am I unusually ignorant? - uh please don't answer that one. Any suggestions would be appreciated, (and sarcasism will be accepted with a smile). Thanks, Brent

Brent: For the past 16 years, my snowthrower on my Allis 312 has been working great removing snow on my asphalt drive. Last year, we built a new house and put in a stone base with the intention of paving the drive in two years. To avoid throwing stones, I took an old pair of downhill skis, cut off to 12 inches leaving the tip, and mounted to the skid pads of the snowthrower. Now the thrower stays out of the stones and removes the snow down to approximatley 1". Hope this helps. P.S. Ski shops often have old skis which they discard - just ask. Mine were free from the local ski shop.

We have made similiar "skis" by welding 1/4" thick metal to existing shoes. Extend width and length appropriately for driveway condition and stone type. Didn't you notice any sparks flying out from chute?

Nope. No sparks. I did notice I was throwing rocks occasionally and immediately raised the thrower a bit with the hydro lift, so I expected to have a little cleanup. I didn't realize the quantity though until all the snow was gone. Most of my problem was I was not happy with not being able to plow real close to the ground so I was always trying to rest the thrower on the drive and not raise it much or often. As a result, I used the 916H to throw down to about 1-2" and then plow it with the 3416H and 42" blade. I don't really mind going over the 20' wide by 170' long drive twice as I enjoy being on the tractors. My wife just wonders what is taking me so long - especially when the kids are inside being less than angels. I was hoping a 1/2" pipe would ride over the stone with it's rounded edge down, and the rounded up edge could keep snow going into the thrower. Hopefully the ground hog was wrong and I won't need to try it until next year! Brent

It sure is nice having a thrower AND a plow! I know some people that can't get all the snow off and then it will ice up on them - especially if it is shaded from the sun. Also watch the wear on the auger blades - the stones can wear them down and increase the clearance between the housing and decreasing preformance. Does anyone have a tractor with a thrower in front and a plow in back and a reversable seat? You could throw forward and plow backward and get back in the house in time for child abuse! :)

Jeez, Jeff! And I thought that snowblowing a gravel drive was how you kept the auger edges honed. Now you tell me! No reversible seat; but a four-foot Arps back blade on the three-point, a 132 pound chunk of scrap steel on the tailboard, four 50 pound wheel weights and chains, and my fat can aboard will push a 46 inch two-stage on a SunSpot through just about anything!

New Holland has a big tractor with 3 point hitch and PTO on both ends, and a reversable seat and control console. Sort of a "push-me-pull-you" arrangement. I'm not sure if it has a front or rear. Depends which way the driver is sitting, since it goes the same speed both directions.

Brent, thats exactly what that snowblower was meant to do >>> level your driveway. I also blow and plow or plow and blow. Seriously I used to drive on the first snow fall to pack it down (my 1/8 mile drive is now blacktop)and then set the skid plates to less than 1/2" and it worked great until thaw. Also if you have the rear sleeve hitch add some counterweight (about 40 lbs.)to it and the blower will "ride on top" without digging in. Mike

Thanks to all for the input. I'll try the counterweight and bigger skis - next year. I'm thinking about taking the blade and thrower off and putting on the tiller and mower. Brent