Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Transmission problems on a Allis 710

DoubleT

I had the trans stick in thrid gear. I could move the gear shifrt into 1,2,or reverse. I could shift it into third but it felt like nothing was moving. Much like the shift fork was broke. I removed the trans and split it in half. I didn't find anything out of the ordinary. No broken shift forks or broken gears. Is there something else I should be looking for? Any help on this subject would be great. Thanks

When these trans' act up like your saying the problem is much more subtle than broken gears or bent shifter forks.The problem is usually the shifter rail and the long keyway that it slides on is bent or distorted some.Usually a new shifter key and a good de-burring of the shifter forks and slider shaft will cure the problem.They will hang up like that if someone has abused the shifter lever.Let us know how you make out with it! dlc

What are the symtoms of the actual wheel movement? Is your problem that the wheels won't move in 3rd but work OK in all other gears? Or is it that it only has one gear speed no matter where the shifter is?